Rack City – Painting the Soul Weaver

Hey guys,

 

Been a while since I wrote an article.  Those who follow the blog will know that my last big event was the Iron Gauntlet final, where I failed atthe final hurdle and lost to Jeremy Lee.  My lists operated exactly as I wanted them too, and I got a very fortunate run where I was able to use each of my lists into an optimal matchup.  Since then I’ve gone into full WTC preparation mode, and although I doubt I will surprise many people with my list selection, I will be keeping them under wraps for a small while.

I haven’t been sitting idly by though.  I always like to keep adding things to the Cryx collection, and as it stands right now there aren’t many models left that are not fully painted.  However I recently acquired (thanks to the irrepressible Tom Guan) a Deneghra, the Soul Weaver model.  I’ll be discussing her in detail in a future article, but I could not resist painting the model, basically from the moment I got her until she was finished.  I took some step by step photos of the process as I went along, and I thought I would share that with you guys!

This is the assembled model.  I picked up a few terrain kits from a company called Pegasus Hobbies, and I have used them throughout the whole of the army to tie them together.  The model went together like a dream, so easy to assemble.  I don’t tend to get too worried about mold lines or anything, as I paint my models to play with them on the table!

I always undercoat in black.  It tends to hide a lot of mistakes, and makes the models I paint look dark and weathered.  I’ve painted stuff over a white undercoat before and it always looks brighter!  I elected to paint Denny separately in this instance.  I don’t usually do that but she would make it a lot more difficult to paint certain sections.

The next step for me is to airbrush the main colours I will be using on the model.  For my Cryx army, I have a consistent theme of bone coloured armour, with yellow and purple accent colours.  The skin ranges from normal human tones, to necrotic rotting skin colour.  For this model, as you can see I have gone with that rotting flesh colour for the Dragonthing.

The next stage for me is blocking in the metallic colours.  I also painted the base, just a brown with a bone coloured drybrush.  I like to start with this bright colour because I use a lot of washes to tone the colours down, and bring the highlights together.

Here I have blocked in the other colours for the base, and put down my brass stages across all the armour.  Its a finicky stage and it takes a while.  It is at this point, once I have blocked in all the basic colours that I will use a wash.  In this case, the same wash is used for all of the bone, metallic and brass sections.  So, the majority of the model!  I used a greeny brown colour wash for the wings.

The next stage of colour is to go back in on all the previous colours, and rehighlight.  The bone in particular is a tricky colour to get right, it takes a particular consistency of paint, as well as specific dilution to get a nice translucent colour transition.  Multiple coats is required.  You can also see here I have tried out a bit of the skin highlighting on his face, to make sure that the process would look ok… LOL

More highlighting of the colours.  You can see its started to take shape now, the bone and the brass taking some more highlighting.

You can see the green skin here, without highlighting yet.

All of the bone and metallic stages finished!  I’ve also darkened the swamp colour with a couple of washes with a black.  I find it looks more natural if I darken a very bright colour as opposed to trying to highlight a water effect.

I filled in the black sections on the wings (actually super difficult) and then did my goo splashy effect on the sections of the base, to make it easy to trace arcs.

The final stage was the wings and skin.  I obviously highlighted and cleaned up those sections  The end was in sight!

Denny, base colours.  Skin, metallic and brass.

Added my purple accent colour, after washing and rehighlighting all the sections.

Here is a bit of a size comparison!

The final Denny, although not as crisp and detailed as the giant Dragonthing, it still came up not too badly.  And after this I varnished everything, put Denny on the mount, and then added grass and water.

 

 

Thanks for reading!  I promise I will have an article on Denny3 in the game soon!

 

Cheers

Trent

Author: Trent Denison

Share This Post On