Author Topic: MOM #342  (Read 541 times)

Well_Dressed

• Thrall
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
MOM #342
« on: May 11, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
Another good cast, I liked the dojo and talking about tooling for a specific match up but covering the rest of that faction generally.  More on that would be great.  Perhaps also touching on what that means when 1) you don't meet that match up in an event and you have to drop it and 2) what happens when you are in a situation you had planned to dodge.  Are you building an assassination out into your list too or do you just hope that on the day your skill is up on the other persons and it'll be what it'll be.

The opening topic is great stuff, health is a serious issue that we should be more open about, particulalry in this hobby which is dominated by men where the stupid male pride stuff often leaves people not getting the help they need until it could be too late [obviously this is a problem for women too].  There is something to be said about being functional for four rounds that is difficult even at the best of times and resorting to a fistful of medicine or bucket of caffine is a real problem for crashing somewhere around round 2-3.

For me I found using the app "my fitness pal" helped a lot with calorie control and got me out of the obease bmi into the healthy range.  The key thing for me was looking at a food and seeing "oh you are 500 calories for a chocolate bar, maybe I'll have carrot sticks instead and have a better evening meal" rather than doing the slim fast way combining eatinging very little with a diet of milkshakes.  Also it opened my eyes to how bad some of the healthy choices are, they end up full of sugar to make them taste ok, like cranberries or worst of all smoothies.  The UK recently has put a tax on sugary drinks so there has been a rise of the diet options for almost everything now which is a good way to get that fix if you want it without drinking your calories.  Am I perfect now?  Hell no, but I am so much better than I was just by making simple swaps from sugar to sweetener or changing meals.  I try and eat less meat at lunches and breakfasts swapping it for fish or veggie options leaving evening meals for the meat dishes mostly, but I also don't eat things that make me miserable for it [like a small salad instead of a wrap].  I also recently have had to cut out dairy for health reasons and that is working out great for me, it isn't really a change in diet but it has meant I end up eating a bit better for it with less sauces (with the added perk of less guilt over dairy, though I am not vegan I do care though turn a blind eye to the pretty poor treatment of livestock).

Pokemon Go of all things also was a huge boon for me, it got me out of the office over lunch and picked me up to ~10k steps a day.  But probably more critically it means I see sunlight which is a huge boost to happiness in general as working an office job away from windows leaves you starved for it, esp in winter when you arrive and leave when it is dark.

Key thing I found with weight loss for me was getting my head around the idea that I somehow expected it to be a change to looking like Thor when all I was doing was modorate diet and minimal exercise.  There is little chance I'll end up like that ever, and the reason is simple, I am not spending every waking moment doing that, I sit at a computer all day and have different expectations (aka not a movie star who is partly cast for objectification purposes but a data crunching nerd).

So I wrote you guys another essay again but happy to chat about diet stuff if you want any advice.  I am not a doctor or anything clever like that, I just know what worked for me and it might not be your style [I tried a bunch of other methods before finding just calorie counting].

Sc077y

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: MOM #342
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:48:17 AM »
thanks for the feedback, and as far as dieting goes...

In the US, and i would imagine in many places, there really arent that many regulations on what companies can put on the labels of their products to make them seem healthier.  Low fat options are laden with sugar to make them taste better, and diet, low sugar, low carb options are often loaded with fats to help them taste better.  It certainly makes the process of figuring out what to eat and how much of it a real pain in the butt.  But, i also the "My Fitness Pal" right now too, (i think thats the name of it, its the Under Armour branded app) and it does help to some degree.

Its a difficult road to walk.  I can tell you when i was discussing it on the podcast, i wasn't very comfortable with the topic, and it felt pretty weird to talk about it on an open mic so to speak, but im very glad i did. I have received multiple IM's from people offering to help, and telling me about their struggle.  It makes this feel a lot better knowing im not alone.

Thanks again for the kind words and support, and most of all, thanks for listening!
-Seabass-

Well_Dressed

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:01:37 AM »
I have been fortunate enough to visit the USA a few times now but every time I end up putting on weight.  The UK has been pretty fortunate that it has a traffic light system on most foods now and every packet must have on the front of it sugar, calorie and fat info.  It isn't perfect though as companies will often sell what used to be considered a standard sized chocolate bar as two smaller ones in the same packet and then display the information for "one portion" which is one of the smaller bars [sometimes they are real cheeky and say a portion is even less than that].

The USA also has much bigger portions than here, and I was taught to clear my plate before leaving the table, and that mentality is still with me.  A trick I tried as well to get around having smaller portions was to serve myself on a smaller plate.  It sounds really really stupid, but it tricked me into thinking I was having a full meal without looking at the blank space from having a smaller dinner.

The app is the same one, and I think it will show you some of the basic salt/fat/sugar but you are right they hide fats and sugars in the healthier billed options, resturants are the worst at this, to make them taste better.

I am glad you were able to be open on the podcast about health issues, as they are important and tend to burden gaming communities more than most.  Men most of all seem to need this push (at least those in my life) even when the problem is serious, and having good rolemodels that people generally respect is a better way than having or witnessing a serious issue.

Looking forward to next weeks cast.

Ps can we get Crump on when the Ret mini CID drops.  He is a good laugh and knows the faction pretty well so would be a great extra insight for changes like "Imperitus is now 20 points" [pre-CID idea they are considering confirmed by staffers] which might be harder to tell if it opens options to lists or not.  [The Denny1 warjack point drop by one was an eye opener when one of the muse crew said it seems small but it means you have to give up the double wraith engine or something in the units which has a knock on effect to the overall list].

misomiso

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
Generally speaking in the West we eat far too many Carbs for the work we do.

We have such a messed up relationship with food in the West, and its so hard as we have so much bad information to deal with. 

I find the reddit body tranformations very inspirational for people having difficulty changing their life.  It shows that change is possilbe if you have the right information available to do it.

Calory Control and stopping eating sugar helps a lot as well.

Defenstrator

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
I can relate to portion sizes. When the family was vacationing in the states last year we just accepted that at any restaurant we went to we would leave a third of the food on the plate. It was crazy. Every restaurant have enough fries for two people on every plate.

Postin Dirty

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
Has anyone pointed out to Brent his pronunciation of things? Skarr-ie? Kay-ken? Centuri-yon etc - i think once I even heard him pronounce Centurion properly on a Cygnar cast, to only slip back

Sc077y

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »
Brent is from Arkansas...I'm not sure that pointing it out would help....and honestly...I think I'm worse than he is....

:)
-Seabass-

Russ

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »
This is so interesting, over a year ago I stopped smoking and started losing weight I went from 26 stone (364lbs) to 16 stone (224lbs). I snapped one of my fingers in half due to that injury I stopped going. I then got out of the pattern plus laziness stopped for about 6 months and I'm now back up to 20 stone ( 280lbs ish).

I'm back doing cross fit and eating clean again its cool to hear you guys talk about this I just wish I had started younger. I'm 30 years old and I really want to get down to 17 stone again by the end of this year.

I wish everyone who is trying to lose weight the best of luck!

FYI Still don't smoke and have been back on track for about 3 weeks. :D

StevenSwayze

• Administrator
  • Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
that is awesome to hear! Also hearing people announce their weights in stones is humorous to me(as an American) is like Womens shoe sizes for weight!

I Am 22 stones. "Oh well thats not too many stones, your good!"
Khal Drogo, Khaleesi, Khan, Khador, Khacsmith...