Author Topic: Crippled System Episode 208: Me, Leon and Jubal Early floating in space  (Read 2151 times)

crann777

• Noob
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Last I heard Gen Con had reduced the number of available badges from last year. Considering that attendance was slightly down last year compared to 2015, as you guys said they might want the press of "omg Gen Con sold out" to bump up ticket sales for 2018.

Forged in Fire is amazing. First two rounds they just troll the shit out of the contestants, and it's hilarious how ill prepared some of the them are, almost to the point that you question if they've ever watched the show before. Also, as my wife and I say, if you use damascus steel you've already lost.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
Re: Crippled System Episode 208: Me, Leon and Jubal Early floating in space
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Gencon is indeed 50 years old.  It might be 51 if you count Gencon 0 which was 12 dudes at Gary's house. 

The Big Lebowski is possibly the most over rated movie ever made. 

Circus Peanuts are amazing.  Get them fresh when they are soft.  If you get the shit ones sitting on the shelf for a decade that are hard, they aren't as good but still decent.
Quote from: She
That's what.

crann777

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Finally sat down to play Portal after listening to this podcast.  I was underwhelmed.

majortusk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Finally sat down to play Portal after listening to this podcast.  I was underwhelmed.

Portal was basically a tech demo that was fleshed out to a full game. Now that you finished portal, get Portal 2, that game is to Portal 1 as Aliens is to Alien or Terminator 2 is to Terminator :)

rydiafan

• Dickbag
  • Epic Warcaster
  • Do you like to hurt other people?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
Portal was basically a tech demo that was fleshed out to a full game. Now that you finished portal, get Portal 2, that game is to Portal 1 as Aliens is to Alien or Terminator 2 is to Terminator :)

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:50 PM »
It could probably be redone as the prologue chapters to Portal 2, but on its own its still pretty perfect, just a little bare bones.  It's also a decade old at this point, and still better than the majority of the games that it inspired.

carnage4u

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »
Portal 2 writing is brilliant.  I really feel it needs to be in the list of games a person needs to play.

I do wonder what we would consider as "Must play" type games.
Yea, its an odd day to me that Crippled System were the POSITIVE PODCAST

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
Prior to polygons, I would consider the following all pretty essential:

Pong
Space Invaders
Pac-Man
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Mega Man 2
Contra
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Turtles in Time (or any other Konami beat 'em up)
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Street Fighter II Turbo

misomiso

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:57:39 AM »
Valerian isn't that bad...

Ok, the main lead is terrible, but on of the main reasons is because his character was written so badly.  He is a senior office trying to hit on his subordinate.

And the plot is bonkers.

HOWEVER, the tone is very good, and the visiauls really are stunning.  I mean really stunning.  Probably the best art Design since LotR or Avatar.  Much better than the marvel Art design.

They just needed a better script.

EDIT: BY FAR the worst Coen Brothers film is Intolerable Cruelty.  It's just terrible.  The best is down to a lot of personal taste, but Miller's Crossing deserves a lot of love.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:10:17 AM by misomiso »

Pangur Ban

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
Valerian isn't that bad...

Ok, the main lead is terrible, but on of the main reasons is because his character was written so badly.  He is a senior office trying to hit on his subordinate.

And the plot is bonkers.

HOWEVER, the tone is very good, and the visiauls really are stunning.  I mean really stunning.  Probably the best art Design since LotR or Avatar.  Much better than the marvel Art design.

They just needed a better script.
Honestly, it's pretty darn bad. Easily the worst I've seen in a theater in a very long time. I actually regretted spending money on it, which is rare for me. The plot itself is not that bad, but the script around the plot is terrible. Intermission after an hour and I was wondering exactly what plot development I'd seen by then. Production value is beyond amazing though.

misomiso

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
I think a lot of it is mindset when you see it; I had read the reviews and knew it was going to be terrible, and when it opened on the 'banter' between Cara and Dana my fears were confirmed, but the visuals were so good, and so inventive, and actually Cara Delavigne was quite good in it, that the movie was forgiven its faults.

However I have card in the UK that lets me see all movies for free (for a monthly fee of around 1.5 movie tickets) so seeing bad movies doesn't really upset me.

On 'must play' video games, that's actually quite hard as it depends on your generation and what type of gameplay / graphics / systems you grew up on.  And Is Ocarina of Time a 'must play', or do you get the same experience through Breath of the Wild?

A personal list for me would be something like:-

Quake 1
Half Life 1, 2, Episodes 1 2
Portal 1,2
Thief 1, 2, 
Braid
The Witness
Command and Conquer, Red Alert 1
Warcraft 2, Starcraft
KotoR
Full Throttle
Mario Kart 1

But I doubt anyone would be able to get through the Original Thied nowadays, or Mario kart 1 after playing the most recent one.