Author Topic: 100 Games in 2017  (Read 543 times)

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Liked: 0
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
100 Games in 2017
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:20:15 AM »
In 2016 I played a lot of Guild Ball, but was it enough?? This year I have set myself a goal of 100 full games of Guild Ball, and we will see how it pans out.

I'm keeping track of my games here.

As you can see from the spreadsheet, I have already been on a couple of kicks this year. First Union, then Masons, then Hunters (a brief experiment soon abandoned), and right now Fishermen. I don't expect I'll be embarking on another 30 game streak with any particular Guild this year, instead as I now own all the Guilds I hope to try them all out at some stage during the year.

Am I behind schedule, having only played 19 games (with another halfway done on Vassal) and this nearly being the kalends of April? You could say that, but there are plenty of opportunities for me to catch up, for example attending a tournament like the Caley Carnage Cup, where I played 5 games in one day. I've signed up for a Big League on Vassal which will get me a game per week, in which I will be playing the Engineers. I also hope to start a Big League here in Dublin, getting me another game per week. If I have any free time left after that, expect to see me looking for games online!

What am I playing right now? Damo (stalwart Morticians player) and I are playing a knock-down-drag-out game on Vassal, currently just at the end of Turn 2. I'm testing a Fishermen lineup I played against and lost to at the Caley Carnage Cup. It consists of Corsair, Salt, Veteran Siren, Avarisse & Greede, Hag and Kraken. The idea is that you hand out Knocked Down and Singled Out to as many of their players as possible and then stack Dread Gaze and damage on top of that. Veteran Siren generally gets 3 Momentum from a single hit between Ganging Up bonuses and everything else. In Turn 2, I was on 5 MP and Obulus used his Legendary Play to steal it from me, with me having just Hag on 0INF and Veteran Siren on 2INF left. The Morticians stood up their beleaguered comrades and attacked with Cosset on Greede, killing him, and then on a Crowded Out Kraken, taking him down to 8 health or so and leaving the Morticians on 4MP. Then it was Siren's turn to go. She walked into Ghast (I had already provoked Fear) and hit him with 4 assists and Singled Out, so 10 dice on each hit. Damo declined to Counterattack because it would have been 1 die. The first hit got me 2MP, the second 3MP, leaving me on 5MP starting her activation from 0. Wowee! I won the roll and have opted to go first. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the game develops, as this is a very different side of the Fishermen. Obulus is way out on the wing (I'll put a screenshot up here this evening) and it seems likely he'll score, bringing the score to 6-0 to Damo. I reckon Ghast can be killed next turn, and I can get a score with Salt. We shall see!

Anyway, come with me on this quixotic quest to get a century in 2017!

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Games in 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
Two games I played recently, both of them losses.

First was against John, a Canadian gentleman I met many years ago at the WTC. We were both playing Fishermen, I was hoping to try out the beatdown Fishermen line-up, while he went with a Shark-led team. The game was pretty quick, and ended 12-0 to John. What it taught me is that if you're playing into a line-up like the one I was proposing, Shark and company are well able to deal with it.

The second was against Mike, as part of a Vassal Community Big League. He was playing Hunters, and I felt pretty confident going in. Then I remembered that I've never actually played as Engineers, only against them, and that there's a big difference. My line-up was a bit haphazard, it was: Pin Vice, Mainspring, Colossus, Ratchet, Gutter and Velocity. I suppose I was trying to go for some 2" melee zones to keep the Hunters at arms' length, but that didn't work so well. Mike certainly played the Hunters a lot better than I had, playing without Hearne seems to give you more elements to make them work. His lineup was Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Zarola, Seenah and Minx. I feel like Ballista would have been a better captain choice, and maybe Salvo instead of Gutter to kite away from them and to pick up the ball when they inevitably knock the ball carrier down. I felt a bit Momentum-starved all game with Pin Vice too. The final score was 12-6, but as this was a Big League game I came out with 25 Campaign Points to Mike's 10. I feel that this sets me up for going for Master Strategos even at this early stage (it will be a 15 game League...urk!). If I can build a Campaign Point-focused deck and keep going for crazy plans, something I think the Engineers do well, then I could outstrip others.

I was also hoping to get a Big League going in Dublin so we'll see if that takes off. If so it could be 2 games a week for a good while, which is really the target I need to keep hitting if 100 games is going to be accomplished.

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
2 more games to report from the Vassal Community Big League. Two losses, one much closer than the other.

My first game was against Ian, playing Alchemists. Man I got hockeyed. He had a very different, much more aggressive playstyle than I've seen from Alchemists before, mostly due to the new Midas. Midas rocketed up turn 1, scored a goal and snared most of my team, and Veteran Katalyst ran rampant afterwards. I learned some lessons, however, which I could put into practice afterwards.

The next game was against Matt, the League Longshanks. This time I brought a Tough Hide-heavy team, wary of the Veteran Katalyst damage train. Matt was playing Smoke, and kited away from me any time he got a hold of the ball. It was a very close game, I had a snapshot set up from Hoist to Colossus which would have won me the game and got off the Synchronicity plot card at the same time, but Colossus was engaged and I couldn't get a 5 on 4 dice. As it was I got 25 Campaign Points in this game, which has brought me up again in the Master Strategos rankings.

The plan for Big League is to get the Poisoned Chalice plot card, and persuade one of the Alchemist players in our League to part with Veteran Katalyst for the fixture. That way I can pretty much guarantee that the Loaned Player will be taken out, if that plot card comes up! The crazy things that you do for a league.

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 04:00:19 AM »
Had my 4th game in the Vassal Big League last night. I played Chris, who was fielding Morticians. It was great fun, and not just because I won! Neither of us could hang on to the ball for any length of time, so there were no goals. I had borrowed Veteran Katalyst as intended, and drew the Poisoned Chalice plot card. I was still stunned at the amount of damage that Veteran Katalyst can put out. In the first turn, after a lot of set up and waiting, I had Ballista shoot and knock down Ghast with a Deadbolt (and soak the extra influence required by Fear), then Veteran Katalyst charged him from downtown, and put 18 points of damage on him with the free charge and two attacks. It was phenomenal. He triggered his Heroic Play and took himself out too, which triggered the "Poisoned Chalice" card. That was just the start of the shenanigans.

At another stage in the match, Vileswarm had just been placed back in the game by Veteran Graves, and he sprinted it up past Ballista to engage Mainspring, who Ghast had left with 1 hit point remaining. Vileswarm had no influence, so I was puzzled at first by what was going on. Then I realised he was triggering a Parting Blow, and Ballista took it. With 4 hits I took 3 damage, killing Vileswarm, who then puked all over Mainspring killing it also. He played the "It's Unbelievable, Geoff" (which is pronounced Jeff for those of you watching from the States) plot card, as a mascot had killed a player. That was the last activation of the turn, and Mainspring comes right back in, allowing me to play the "Creation/Destruction" plot card, which I had been angling for by leaving Mainspring out in the breeze all game.

The game was blown wide open on the second-last turn of the game, when Ballista choked on an attack on Graves, and ended up knocked down on the Counterattack with no way to stand up...and 5 influence remaining unspent! The plan had been to use Breach and score a goal from 10" away, but instead the ball scattered to Graves who picked it up. Salvo got it back, and it all looked a bit hairy but Obulus used Puppet Master to make my guys attack each other instead of getting the ball so that was alright.

The game ended when Veteran Katalyst returned to the pitch after getting killed for the third time, and first charged then Fear-attacked Ghast, dragging him 4" in two attacks to dump him off the pitch. It was a great, ridiculous game and I would recommend a game against that opponent!

whiteout

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
I own Butchers and Masons but like a dingus I am trying to make Ox and Hammer work.

I've heard some people have had success by playing Ox as a support model and only bothering to give him 2-3 influence each turn so that all the other Bucher workhorses can be fully loaded. Have you ever tried this approach with Ox?

Also, on your list I've only seen Honor games. Have you ever played Hammer and had any thoughts? He seems like he's got a decent counter-attack because 1" pushes are low and his innate beat back ability turn that into a 2" push.