Author Topic: Judgement  (Read 2621 times)

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Judgement
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
I in general have not been excited about non-warmachine miniature games, but this one looks fun as hell and I'm amazingly excited for the models to be 54mm scale! I also really love playing Heroes of the Storm, so the style behind it is something that I really love.  Its at an amazing price, awesome turn around time (September!) and the shipping to the US is really cheap (waiting to hear on the playmat though).  Anyway, checkout the Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gunmeistergames/judgement-a-moba-inspired-54mm-miniatures-game

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
It's an interesting looking game though kind of an awkward buy in at a kickstarter simply because the design feels closer to a board game, but the large models puts it firmly in miniature game pricing.  Being designed around bringing 7 of the 10 figures doesn't feel as accessible as buying into a faction if that makes sense.  You can't jump in based on a an aesthetic that appeals to you and its odd for multiple players to have to buy largely the same group of figures.  To that end it feels a little generic, though very well done.

It's definitely an interesting looking game; it just feels a little awkward as a Kickstarter pre-buy.  It feels like the kind of things that would be far more interesting to look into after release.

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
It's an interesting looking game though kind of an awkward buy in at a kickstarter simply because the design feels closer to a board game, but the large models puts it firmly in miniature game pricing.  Being designed around bringing 7 of the 10 figures doesn't feel as accessible as buying into a faction if that makes sense.  You can't jump in based on a an aesthetic that appeals to you and its odd for multiple players to have to buy largely the same group of figures.  To that end it feels a little generic, though very well done.

It's definitely an interesting looking game; it just feels a little awkward as a Kickstarter pre-buy.  It feels like the kind of things that would be far more interesting to look into after release.

To me it feels like its a better concept around what Guildball-type games are doing, while really adhering pretty close to the idea of a MOBA.  I mean, I play HotS and in general I gravitate towards the Warcraft heroes more, but that doesn't meant that I don't play Starcraft or Diablo heroes when they would benefit me.  I feel like they're similarly using the various races for that purpose.  Another think with the MOBA being that the more heroes I own, the more things I can try.

I see the comparison to a board game for sure, but I think from seeing the game play that its much more akin to a skirmish miniatures game.

Also, the 54mm models really is what does it for me.  Its so much more visually awesome compared to what I feel like Malifaux, Guildball, Infinity or Marvel look like from a distance.

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
I don't really think its anything wrong with the game, I'm just saying it makes the Kickstarter less accessible.  I kind of feel the initial 10 figures is a little light on selection to support 5v5, even though I'm sure that's where the game would end up.  A bit more focus on 3v3 in the campaign would feel better supported by the current roster.  I just think the game would probably be a better sell on KS specifically if it was focused on the 3v3 a bit more, as promoting it as a 5v5 game (7 figures per side total) and making backers select them one by one puts a lot on the backer who's going into it rather blind. 

Its not like an established game where I can use the a la carte format, do a little research and buy exactly what I want.  I just think it would be easier to jump into if the campaign was focused a bit more on selling 3 man pre-selected bands like you can find in the Gamer's pack pledge level, with like... 12 figures total so there were 4 groups of 3.  It's not a huge deal, but the first time I looked into it my gut reaction was that I needed to do some research before pledging.  Something with more of a starter pack design would help make it more of a poorly thought through impulse buy.

None of these are problems with the final product; just things that provide my weak will some small room to resist.  :)

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
Fair.  From listening to the Dark Guidance guys talk about it, I think you could just about pick the first three / five and be ok.  I'm guessing that's why they don't have a starter pack.  Good bit of feedback perhaps for them.

bobliness

• Epic Warcaster
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 05:17:55 AM »
I think you'll find there is now a pledge level for a starter to give a way to start up a meta in a local store.

A bunch of models, plus mat, plus 2 x dice plus tokens, which is enough for as many people as you can find that would like to play the 3 v 3

for 5 v 5 you'd still need to use some paper doll proxies which is all good (That's what we've done all the games with during the playtest etc!)

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
Saw that and probably totally worth it, but its a hard sell with a much cheaper 7 figure option.  The figure suggestions are great though; I just think they should be more front and center in the sell if that makes sense.

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
Hey anyone who remains interested in this, I'd definitely check it out! They're in their final days for the Kickstarter and are closing in on their goal with the first stretch goal, which is a free model, still a serious possibility!

Arlaharen

• Noob
  • i like minions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 07:04:06 AM »
After playing five or so games I can highly recommend this, especially if you're a fan of MOBAs. The basic game system is simple enough but the heroes give it a lot of depth and versatility even at a low model count.

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »
After playing five or so games I can highly recommend this, especially if you're a fan of MOBAs. The basic game system is simple enough but the heroes give it a lot of depth and versatility even at a low model count.

Yea, I've gotten a game or two in myself and its been a lot of fun and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface with it.  Really excited!

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
Got to play this a MoMCon and walked away quite impressed.  If there's ONE thing that I feel the marketing completely missed in the text blurbs its simply explaining how you win.  Honestly, I found the activation system and combat engine far from exceptional, but the actual soul gathering system is really what creates interesting decisions.  It's really the game's standout feature and looking over the kickstarter, its not really mentioned from what I can see.  Definitely more curious about this now.  I'll be keeping an eye on it as it goes to a full release.

chunky04

• Warcaster
  • Chicken Wingding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
I had a crack at this at PAXAus and have gotten in whole hog.

I expected not to like it as I don't really enjoy MOBAs, but I really find this game fun.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:37:57 AM »
Anyone have a good video of game play or a demo?  The official ones still use PP figures (like for real?) and are pretty terrible to watch to try and learn the game.
Quote from: She
That's what.

chunky04

• Warcaster
  • Chicken Wingding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:29:16 AM »
They stream a game every week basically

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdIkYOmtjVG70cw5RBJMhtQ

Thats their youtube channel

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:17:06 AM »
It's like you didn't even read what I wrote...
That's what.

chunky04

• Warcaster
  • Chicken Wingding
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Yeah I did, none of the ones I have watched use PP figures, and I've watched around half a dozen over the last couple of weeks.

The ones they did during their Kickstarter before they had their models produced might have, I haven't watched those. Try looking in a different area of the channel.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
I grabbed the most recent ones last week and they have PP figs and are basically unwatchable.  If that's the best content that's out there then thanks :)
That's what.

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
I'm not sure where you're seeing this.  This video is a month old and doesn't have PP figures.

chunky04

• Warcaster
  • Chicken Wingding
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Yeah I've never even seen a PP model in one of their videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj75xQIylVI&list=PLqAs7xMAV5ugJGu1MOozrYOShGTw_eh9j

Hopefully that link will take you through to their battle reports channel - just checked the oldest two videos and no PP models.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
I'm really trying to be nice guys.  I tried to watch this video from a month ago.  I literally couldn't get through it.  I know how to find their official channel.  There are models in this video that look distinctly like Circle models.  Anyways, I guess there is no other content and their content is unwatchable so I will stop posting as I don't want to derail any further. 

https://youtu.be/GAnmc76ZmgU?t=47m36s
That's what.

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
I think for the most part people are trying to be nice, but its pretty hard to figure out what "unwatchable" means and we were having trouble finding the PP figures in recent videos.  The one you linked though certainly has some unpainted Warpwolves on the table.

FWIW, their using the Warpwolves as the NPC monsters in the game that are essentially Terrain.  I'm a little surprised their not using their official giant wolf model, but that's what's up with those.  I'm a little surprised at how much playtest material they use in their official videos though.  I've not really watched the videos but just browsing through that's first time I've seen proxy NPCs, but there's a lot of paper cutouts and the like that are disappointing to see.

In any case, sorry for the confusion.  Mostly people just weren't sure exactly what you were talking about.  The link clears things up nicely.  :)

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »
I haven't actually had a chance to play since getting the rest of my models, but it is a very fun game for certain! In my opinion it is the best skirmish game I've seen, both because the rules are solid AND because I think 54mm models is absolutely the correct way to do low model count if you want to have a table that looks fantastic.

Also worth note, that Discount Games announced over night that its carrying the line now so if you're in the US you should have an easier way to get ahold of the models.