Author Topic: Baffo's Circle of Doom  (Read 4896 times)

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Liked: 0
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
Baffo's Circle of Doom
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:44:28 AM »
First article of this new series is up: http://museonminis.com/baffos-circle-of-doom-01-warpwolf-doom-stalker/

If you have any questions about methods or madness, post them here!

Tort

• Epic Warcaster
  • Unplayable Trash
    • View Profile
Re: Baffo's Circle of Doom
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »
If I were to obtain a lock of your hair could I use it in some kind of ritual to obtain your sculpting powers?

n00buaddib

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:21 AM »
If I were to obtain a lock of your hair could I use it in some kind of ritual to obtain your sculpting powers?

Doesn't work, I've tried.

The best you can hope for is to meet Baffo in person, buy him a refreshing beverage and watch him work his magic on green stuff. In my case, that's producing...mixed results but one can only improve. :D

Hope you'll be able to make it to some international tourneys and showcase Circle of Doom in person. They are eye candy, those models.

Finkmonkey

• Eater of Worlds
  • Thrall
    • View Profile
    • www.snowfightstudios.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
Simply amazing stuff as always.  Keep up the great work!

--Brian

Deflare

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:49:54 PM »
So when I started Circle, I also turned it into a modeling vanity project. I was going to make it all desert themed! The Gorax is a baboon, characters have veils and turbans, wolves get extra fluff and bigger ears! It was sweet.

Aaaaaand now I feel like a loser. Damn you, Baffo, damn yooooooou.  :P

Stompystomp

• Noob
  • Clockwork Vessel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »
I should probably also start a faction for the purpose of sculpting and modeling, which I've grown to enjoy a lot lately.

I'd never be able to make anything this amazing, though, this looks awesome! Can't wait to see it painted up.

Baffo

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:37:09 AM »
Thanks for the compliments and encouraging comments:)

About developing converting and sculpting skills: you should not get disheartened, it is all just a matter of practice and patience, no different from painting models. Start by sculpting scenic bases to practice 'sculpting tool control' and build up some confidence, then start challenging yourself with more 'advanced' modifications...

I started sculpting/converting models back in my Warhammer fantasy days by adding mantles, fur cloaks and longer beards to my Dwarf models. After that I switched to 40k and since Squats have been erased from 40k back in 3rd edition I decided I would convert my own 'Squats' by chopping off Space marine knees and giving them assorted beards... You start slow and progress at your own speed.

The point of my hobby articles is presenting various techniques, tools and tricks I discovered during my extensive trial and error sculpting experiments. To be hones I did not think I would be able to make the doomreaver swords when I started that conversion, but I started practicing making the pattern in a larger scale first and when I got the hang of it I started sculpting it in increasingly smaller scale until it fit on my swords, but more on that in the next article:)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:39:11 AM by Baffo »

Stompystomp

• Noob
  • Clockwork Vessel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:52:24 AM »
Yeah, practice makes perfect. I'll keep a watchful eye on your blog posts for tips and tricks. Now to figure out which faction I want to do this with. Work on it is likely going to be very, very slow, so it'd have to be a faction I'd be excited about playing. I've also always wanted a spider faction, but I don't know which faction lends itself to that visual style. Skorne, maybe with the new Aradus entries, but I don't like the general Skorne play style, and I already play Cryx, which lend themselves much to the spider theme.

It would probably be best with a Hordes faction since they use less hand-held weapons. Legion might work. I'll probably wait and see if they announce a new faction at Lock and Load, though, seeing as it is the 10th anniversary of Hordes.

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
http://museonminis.com/baffos-circle-of-doom-02-orgoth-blades/

Here's the second instalment of Circle of Doom, which is late due to my fault I'm afraid. There will be another article next week and then we'll be returning to the "usual" fortnightly pattern.

I have to say, the instructional diagrams in this really blew me away!

isidro

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 06:18:53 AM »

Great article, thx!

Trollock

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 06:41:33 AM »
Amazingly well made article! Top marks :)

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 03:46:43 AM »
http://museonminis.com/baffos-circle-of-doom-03-doomhorn-satyr/

Back to regularly scheduled programming, here's part 3 of the Circle of Doom. Part 4 will be in two weeks' time!

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »
http://museonminis.com/baffos-circle-of-doom-04-spreading-doom/

The final in the Circle of Doom series, Baffo shows some units and light warbeasts getting the treatment of DOOOM!

kamilion

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
Good christ, the things that man does with models make me weep in envy.
Josh Simpson

Meh.