Author Topic: Killing of a Major Character  (Read 27988 times)

Tort

• Epic Warcaster
  • Liked: 0
  • Unplayable Trash
    • View Profile
Killing of a Major Character
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
A lot of people have been talking about the Ruin and Mutineers spoilers but I haven't seen much discussing the little sentence on the bottom of page 108/110 (it's reading differently on my phone and tablet).

"Oh and we're killing a major character..." (in NQ 60)

Any thoughts? I will be a little disappointed if it's Vinter Raelthorne or something.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:47:14 PM by Tort »

Isante

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
Re: Killing of a Major Character
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
We already know its Madrak.

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »
Its a "Major" Character.

Its Major Siege Brisbane

TinklingKoala

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:20:06 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if it was a Maude Flanders-esque "major character" death.

Baldur was dead for a full two years, but (like Terminus) it was implied at the time that it wouldn't stick.

Dan from Chicago

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 07:22:03 PM »
Leto is an obvious choice. Sets up Magnus vs. Vinter

Tucker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
If the story is going to skip forward a few years after this book it would make sense to kill an older character like Nemo, as he wouldn't be on active duty after the time jump anyways.

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:35 PM »
Or major Victoria haley

Kithkar Jez

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »
Or major Victoria haley
Same page puzzle seems to imply a Major Prime Victoria Haley is an upcoming model, and while  Its not impossible to think she might die in the same fiction she gets a 3, I find it unlikely.

I also find it unlikely that they would be as cliche as killing the black guy first.

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »
A lot of people have been talking about the Ruin and Mutineers spoilers but I haven't seen much discussing the little sentence on the bottom of page 108/110 (it's reading differently on my phone and tablet).

Any thoughts? I will be a little disappointed if it's Vinter Raelthorne or something.

Screenshot?

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »
Or major Victoria haley
Same page puzzle seems to imply a Major Prime Victoria Haley is an upcoming model, and while  Its not impossible to think she might die in the same fiction she gets a 3, I find it unlikely.

I also find it unlikely that they would be as cliche as killing the black guy first.

Last burst of power before dying?

Wait, she's a time wizard.

She's the perfect way they can rewind the storyline past the points of no return they have already reached and do something really weird.

Blaque

• Evil Neko
  • Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
I kind of hope against hope it's not Siege, as the last thing PP needs to do is kill the black guy first.

And stuff.

Tort

• Epic Warcaster
  • Unplayable Trash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 11:58:41 PM »

Screenshot?

I don't want to break the rules but I figure that 2 sentences should be alright especially since it's not rules or fluff or anything:

IronLichRich

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 12:41:23 AM »
If the rank major is a prerequisite, then that makes the cygnar dragoon a possibility. Though a lame one.

scouts honor

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:58 AM »
In keeping with the recent trend of tanking Circle, that pelt on Ruin's shoulder is actually Ghetorix. Regenerate that, wolfie.
“Why bother with a cunning plan when a simple one will do?”

Wayniac

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Killing of a Major Character
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
They said killing, never said removed. New Cryx caster a la eSturgis?

Charmant

• Salt Giant
  • Warcaster
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »
It's actually Haley being killed and put on that there dragon scavenger
No God but Cheezus Christ

"If you're playing mercs you're playing with heart" - Dan Alf 13/1 2013

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
This is VERY interesting since it seems like they're killing a character off in the NQ and not in Reckoning (which is what I'd expect).  If it really IS a Reckoning, I would expect it to finally wrap up this story arc I think.  However, at the pace they're going that does feel like a bit of a tall order.

There are also a lot of major characters in the fluff who are not character's on the table top.  Leto, Raelthorne, Ayn.  Obviously, there's a lot of suggestions that Madrak is going to have to die for Kromac to get Rathrok.  After that, seems like there are a LOT of options of characters in the game.

If they're being cute with the term 'Major' I count 3 characters on the table top who have the rank of Major:

Major Markus "Siege" Brisbane
Major Victoria Haley
Major Katherine Laddermore

Zach-TDD

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
This is VERY interesting since it seems like they're killing a character off in the NQ and not in Reckoning (which is what I'd expect).  If it really IS a Reckoning, I would expect it to finally wrap up this story arc I think.  However, at the pace they're going that does feel like a bit of a tall order.

I think the two statements are independent of each other.
1 - The next issue will have you talking.
2 - We are going to be killing a major character (not necessarily in NQ)

Could be wrong, though.
Zach // Memphis, TN

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »

I think the two statements are independent of each other.
1 - The next issue will have you talking.
2 - We are going to be killing a major character (not necessarily in NQ)

Could be wrong, though.

Agreed.  Seems like that could be interpretted differently.

hawk

• Warcaster
  • NoVA NOMADS "Let's GO this!"
    • View Profile
    • My Local PG's cool blog with hobby tips:
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »
I have no idea what the current "story arc" would be described as.

Anyone know a synopsis somewhere with full on spoilers so I don't have to find all these books to read it?

magonus

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »
I have no idea what the current "story arc" would be described as.

Anyone know a synopsis somewhere with full on spoilers so I don't have to find all these books to read it?

My assumption is the general warring of the three living human factions with Cryx in the background twirling their mustaches and building a secret army on the mainland. That army has recently been revealed which led to some collaboration between Cygnar and Khador. I expect this book will result in a stronger alliance that the Protectorate also joins, basically a time out while they all deal with their mutual foe. I think Cryx will finally be dealt a significantly blow and there will be a wary peace between the other three. The next story arc will begin a new round of conflict.

Phantom

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
Well, Menoth has that whole "Crusade of the North" shtick going on in Khador, so I have my doubts that they would suddenly become allies. Especially since AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong since I don't follow Menite fluff that closely), Cryx isn't currently threatening anything that the Menites are interested in?

But I can see Khador and Cygnar allying against Cryx and Menoth since those two are the major threats to both at this time.

Reemule

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
I'm in the hope its Nemo or Sevarious that goes to the beyond.  Ohh and Darius shows up as a Battle Engine caster.
Rebel Xwing player. Imperial Armada player.

magonus

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »
"The Protectorate’s Northern Crusade joins Khador and Cygnar in a final alliance of men against the unending armies of the Dragonfather. "

From the Reckoning fluff blub.

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
Well, Menoth has that whole "Crusade of the North" shtick going on in Khador, so I have my doubts that they would suddenly become allies. Especially since AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong since I don't follow Menite fluff that closely), Cryx isn't currently threatening anything that the Menites are interested in?

But I can see Khador and Cygnar allying against Cryx and Menoth since those two are the major threats to both at this time.

Vlad's story arch for the entirety of MKII has been repeated failed attempts to form an alliance with the Protectorate.

DP6

• Muse Moderator
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
The story arc starts in Wrath with Khador working to invade Point Borne.  They breach the wall and almost immediately Cryx is right behind them invading.  Haley is warned that Nemo will be assassinated in Corvis by her sister.  She leaves Point Borne, weakening the defenses there enough for Khador and then Cryx.  Haley makes it to Corvis in time to stop the assassination, but in the process gets infected with the magic consuming disease the Cryxians were going to use on Nemo.

During the invasion of Point Borne, Torch is destroyed, Strakhov fights a retreat to Irusk, Karchev is captured by Cryx.  Cygnar is held up in one quarter of the city, which Khador is held up in another and Cryx is out destroying as much as possible and capturing as many people as possible.

Meanwhile, the Protectorate is building major steam in the Northern Crusade.  They have several conflicts with Khador, but things are proceeding as normal.  Kreoss and Damiano team up to face off against a major army led by Terminus.  Harbinger, Testament, the Avatar, and several others stop a Cryxian raid on a village, gaining many converts and several new potential warcasters.

Ossyan and House Vyre show up and basically find Nyssor's vault and take it back from the Khadorans.

Magnus is teaching Vinter's bastard how to fight and how to be a leader.  Made him a badass sword that can penetrate a warcaster's power field.  They steal a bunch of gold to buy an army.

Also Vinter comes out of the wastes to Saxon Orrik and works to make a deal with Feora to elevate her to the leadership of the PoM should she help out Vinter.

Next is Colossals, which takes place immediately after Wrath.  Irusk believes the only way to deal with Cryx is to ally with Cygnar.  Stryker and Blaize show up in Point Borne to join the alliance.  Missives are sent and the rest of their forces meet up with them in the Thornwood, including Stormwalls and Conquests now.  They find the Cryxian base to discover Gaspy has been waiting for them.  Between him, Deneghra, the Coven, and several others and like 6 or 7 Krakens, they route the united force.  Nightmare is smashed into bits by a Conquest, Karchev is still captured, and Kraye is heavily injured.

Butcher finally shows back up, almost kills Siege and seeks out Irusk to see if the alliance is real. 

Vyros takes the credit for rescuing Nyssor, becomes the head of House Nyarr at last.  Goreshade tries to stop the Retribution, but has a back up plan by letting Vyros take everything Goreshade needs into Ios for him.  Plans are coming to fruition...

Magnus buys all the Galleons out from under Bart and Fiona.  However, he contracts them to help him out with the next stages of his plan.

Vlad now controls all of his ancestral lands as one giant duchy under Khador.  He defends it against the Northern Crusade, specifically led by Sevi and Kreoss.  He gets face to face with Sevi and they decide to continue their discussion that was supposed to happen in the Forces books.

Vengeance has Stryker getting promoted to Lord General as he finds out about 2 small cryxian forces in the southern thornwood.  Since their morale is shit, he decides to confront these forces.  Him, Blaize, Sloan, and their troops commence in.  The confront Skarre, Terminus, and Malathrax.  Skarre and Sloan disappear, while Stryker ends up destroying Terminus and capturing the athanc shard.  Blaize will accompany that down to a hidden base deep within the wrymwall mountains.  The alliance with Khador is still intact and is shaping up to be something potent should it hold.

Butcher finally shows up in the Khador camp with a severely injured Siege with him.  Irusk dresses Butcher down, putting him into place and sends him on his way.  Offers help and medical attention to Siege, knowing that he can't just give him back to Cygnar yet.  Sorscha goes off on Butcher due to their connections via him killing her father when she was younger.  Butcher connects to his war argus and feels better. 

Vlad conducts negotiations on behalf of the Queen, stretching his authority a little bit, but convinces Sevi and Kreoss to combine their forces and take the battle to Cryx as they have been preying on everyone else for too long.  Sevi agrees as long as Vlad agrees to have an official delegation from the PoM into the city of Llaedry.  Vlad reluctantly agrees.

Venethrax confronts the legion forces chasing the athanc, getting into a nasty duel with Absylonia (see exigence).

Goreshade breaks through the Iosan border undetected through necromantic means.  Pretty cool stuff from him.  He then heads to Eversael, home of the Eldritch.  He busts in on them and basically tells them they will be forced to help him get to the Thane of Scyrah where she and Nyssor sleep or else.  He is king of the eldritch now it seems.

Magnus and company take over Fellig from the Ordic army, thereby providing him a base of operations in the heart of everything.  Julius, the bastard, is training with steelhead cav currently to help keep his identity a secret.  Bart knows that Julius is a bastard, but thinks he is Magnus's kid.

These are the high points.  I might have missed a few things here and there.  This doesn't cover the Hordes books at this point.

hawk

• Warcaster
  • NoVA NOMADS "Let's GO this!"
    • View Profile
    • My Local PG's cool blog with hobby tips:
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 12:59:05 PM »
Thanks DP6 :) !

sepher32

• Musing and Amusing
  • Admin
  • Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Tim is the best.
Yes. We. Caine.

RJM

• Noob
  • Death Ride the Whip
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
Thanks DP6 :) !

Seriously man, great summary!

What do you mean, 'Haley twins' isn't a legal faction?

madrab

• Journeyman
  • A.K.A. Princessprettyposies
    • View Profile
    • Overload On Air
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
you forgot the major piece of mk2 fluff, using mammoths as grenades!
Best Kilt award at WTC2013 (suck it scotland!)