Author Topic: Overload On Air Episode 13 - The Cursed Episode  (Read 5728 times)

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Liked: 0
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
Overload On Air Episode 13 - The Cursed Episode
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:53:22 AM »
http://museonminis.com/overload-air-episode-013-cursed-episode/

I brought it upon myself with the title, but this is the most editing I've ever had to do for our podcast. It started at nearly 3 hours, but for the sake of our reputations and immortal souls the extra hour was destroyed.

We're talking about starting in a new meta, collecting a new faction and the new Iron Gauntlet format.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:19:54 AM by Siskey »

Skoven

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Overload On Air Episode 13 - The Cursed Episode
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
The argument I usually hear thrown around when people are explaining why there often are female only tournaments and/or leagues in e-sports, is that it is such a male dominated scene, that they try to encourage females to compete. I think it's a pretty weak argument, but that is what people generally use as reasoning for the otherwise offensive separation of competition.

That said, I can somewhat understand why females might be hesitant to break into e-sports, because there is a large portion of the fan-base that treat the personalities in these communities awful, and females have to deal with a bunch of horny teenage boys on top of that. Some people actually go out of their way to tell prominent people in the communities that they hate them, and for some it has lead to some serious issues. It is pretty disgusting how people can behave when they have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind.

The extra hour should be released as a bonus episode, I would listen.

VagrantPoet

• Epic Warcaster
  • Resisting Faction ADD since the .... I gave up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »

You would regret it.

It all ended up very cohesible.

Find all the dumb stuff I used to write for Muse here.

speedfreek

• Thrall
    • View Profile
Overload On Air Episode 13 - The Cursed Episode
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
You need to elaborate more on what Keith has to do to get rid of that curse...

Rynth

• Dead to John.
  • Muse Moderator
  • Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »

I'd imagine that winning several games of Poop or Potatoe would break the potato curse.

Skoven

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

I'd imagine that winning several games of Poop or Potatoe would break the potato curse.
Isn't the problem with that statement, that the only way to truly win Poop or Potatoe is to not play?

Other_Mike

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the shout out guys. It was interesting to listen to you guys build the Sev1 list as thats pretty much what I was looking to have in Iron gauntlet. My third list was supposed to be Feora2 with eyriss2 and Zealots and a second judicator so Sev1 could have access to them in the IG rounds but Jeremy Lee forgot to bring his Judicator so I switched to HR.
Burning Heretics Since 2012

Valkine

• Warcaster
  • WTC Team Ireland 2014!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
The argument I usually hear thrown around when people are explaining why there often are female only tournaments and/or leagues in e-sports, is that it is such a male dominated scene, that they try to encourage females to compete. I think it's a pretty weak argument, but that is what people generally use as reasoning for the otherwise offensive separation of competition.
The problem I have with this argument is it's really an argument for having additional female only leagues, not an argument for banning women from playing in the normal leagues. Having bonus leagues for women to compete in is fine, it's the restrictions on normal play that were objectionable. Happily the uproar over this means that the system now in place is one where anyone can play in most of the tournaments while there are still a few female only events. I can also correct my Chess related statement somewhat by noting that if women wish to compete in high level men's chess tournaments they are allowed to do so.

You would regret it.

It all ended up very cohesible.
I'm shocked you didn't take this opportunity to link to your song. I'm grateful that you didn't but I am surprised. You singing has got to be roughly half of the deleted content.

Isn't the problem with that statement, that the only way to truly win Poop or Potatoe is to not play?
This amused me greatly.

Thanks for the shout out guys. It was interesting to listen to you guys build the Sev1 list as thats pretty much what I was looking to have in Iron gauntlet. My third list was supposed to be Feora2 with eyriss2 and Zealots and a second judicator so Sev1 could have access to them in the IG rounds but Jeremy Lee forgot to bring his Judicator so I switched to HR.
We got Puryear approval! We're the best.

Other_Mike

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
Also, not Noddin Dogs HR list although it is fairly close I suppose. He and Brian White play that one. I added a redeemer to shoot at black 13th, Eyriss and gunmages. Also, I can't believe that you guys didn't mention that I beat the best player in the world in the semifinals IG round, Jason Flanzer. So it wasn't just a random trolls player. ;)

Charbok

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »
I was glad to hear the Philly meta talked up so much on the podcast.  Even if it's the worst city in Pennsylvania, Showcase Comics has to be the best game shop I've ever been in (we went to the Mid-Atlantic Team Tourney there the last time Norbert ran it before going to England).  I'm sure there are multiple small metas in the state, though we've got a nice sort of melting pot of three (Pittsburgh, Altoona and DuBois) that regularly participate in each other's events.  Sadly, we're on the wrong side of the State to enjoy Showcase with any kind of frequency (though Legions in Pittsburgh is probably the #2 store I've been to).

Also, looking at the pictures of European events, I can honestly say that gamers tend to look like gamers, regardless of origin. ;)
Vic Badger, Gaming Organization of DuBois, PA

Skoven

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:55:15 AM »
The problem I have with this argument is it's really an argument for having additional female only leagues, not an argument for banning women from playing in the normal leagues. Having bonus leagues for women to compete in is fine, it's the restrictions on normal play that were objectionable. Happily the uproar over this means that the system now in place is one where anyone can play in most of the tournaments while there are still a few female only events. I can also correct my Chess related statement somewhat by noting that if women wish to compete in high level men's chess tournaments they are allowed to do so.

Aside form the fighting game example on the podcast, I can't recall any e-sport where females are excluded from playing the "normal" leagues and tournaments. I still find it mildly offensive that organisers feel the necessity to cater to females and make female specific tournaments, but it isn't outrageous either. The sad part about the female-only tournaments is they are hardly treated with a lot of respect, because they honestly (at least so far in my experience) haven't measured up to the male skill level in the several other leagues. I watched a DotA2 female tournament once (from an Ukrainian event), and the english broadcasts were terribly misogynistic. You already have to have thick skin to expose yourself to the horror that is giving the internet a reason to have an opinion about you, I can't imagine it get easier with teenage boys having anonymity. 

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:35:53 AM »

We will soon have a rental service where the deleted segments of our podcasts will be compiled onto a copy-protected cassette, handed over to subscribers in a car park after hours with the deliverer's face obscured by darkness. After three listens, the Banshee's wail will be heard outside the subscriber's house, meaning the tape has to be returned to whence it came.

Skoven

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:40:22 AM »
After three listens, the Banshee's wail will be heard outside the subscriber's house, meaning the tape has to be returned to whence it came.
How exactly do you squeeze a cassette into a bottle of whisky?

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 02:44:33 AM »
How exactly do you squeeze a cassette into a bottle of whisky?

Skoven

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 03:02:16 AM »

Valkine

• Warcaster
  • WTC Team Ireland 2014!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 04:07:06 AM »
Aside form the fighting game example on the podcast, I can't recall any e-sport where females are excluded from playing the "normal" leagues and tournaments. I still find it mildly offensive that organisers feel the necessity to cater to females and make female specific tournaments, but it isn't outrageous either. The sad part about the female-only tournaments is they are hardly treated with a lot of respect, because they honestly (at least so far in my experience) haven't measured up to the male skill level in the several other leagues. I watched a DotA2 female tournament once (from an Ukrainian event), and the english broadcasts were terribly misogynistic. You already have to have thick skin to expose yourself to the horror that is giving the internet a reason to have an opinion about you, I can't imagine it get easier with teenage boys having anonymity.
This podcast was recorded last week and we were talking specifically about an incident that happened then. This was a Finnish Hearthstone tournament banning women from participating because it was a feeder event for a bigger tournament in South Korea which didn't allow women. It turned out on closer examination that the Internation e-Sports Federation (the Korean organizers of the bigger event) divided e-Sports by gender. Men could play DOTA 2, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone and Street Fighter while Women played Starcraft 2 (separate from the men), and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. This has all been resolved due to internet outrage over the division so now women can play in the same events as men but they did keep their separate Tekken tournament for women only. At the time of recording the episode it was still not clear if the IeSF were going to give in, though.

I can't imagine the difficulty of being a women trying to break into professional gaming. I see women put up with staggering amounts of bullshit just trying to be accepted as nerds, being respected as a professional nerd is even harder.

VagrantPoet

• Epic Warcaster
  • Resisting Faction ADD since the .... I gave up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:43 AM »
Also, not Noddin Dogs HR list although it is fairly close I suppose. He and Brian White play that one. I added a redeemer to shoot at black 13th, Eyriss and gunmages. Also, I can't believe that you guys didn't mention that I beat the best player in the world in the semifinals IG round, Jason Flanzer. So it wasn't just a random trolls player. ;)

Damn. I actually clocked that while I was looking at the MoM list updates! I just remembered the vengers and presumed.

I have shamed my family.

I was wondering why you chose to play HR, I wholly expected Sev/Harby/Feora given the format.

Stupid Jeremy Lee!

I imagine your Sev1 75 list is a lot more sensible than the highly slurred version we churned out! :p

Sev double Arm 21 judicator is super legit though!

Find all the dumb stuff I used to write for Muse here.

Skoven

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 04:45:44 AM »
Korea have a history of not exactly treating people in e-sports by the standards we expect in the western world. In Starcraft BW they had about 10 teams of 25ish people. Most of these young people were simply there to be practice partners for the superstars, spending 12+ hours a day, for no pay, with essentially no chance to move up in the world.

I can't imagine the difficulty of being a women trying to break into professional gaming. I see women put up with staggering amounts of bullshit just trying to be accepted as nerds, being respected as a professional nerd is even harder.

In my experience, what people value more than anything personal in e-sports, is simply results. Scarlett, the Canadian SC2 Zerg player somewhat proved that when she broke into the scene as a pretty much unknown and beat established players. At that point people were actually talking more about how awesome her games were, over the fact that she is a transgender. She give good results, and people tend to focus on that, so it is definitely possible for the internet to have a positive reaction to a woman breaking into professional gaming. By large, people are respectful towards her, but there are still hateful comments flying around, although I don't think that anyone escape that.

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 04:46:52 AM »
I imagine your Sev1 75 list is a lot more sensible than the highly slurred version we churned out! :p

Sev double Arm 21 judicator is super legit though!

Hey hey hey the man said he liked it :P

We'll see just how legit this weekend. Listening back there were 2 points missing. I reckon a Reclaimer is probably better in the space than a Vassal?

Other_Mike

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:27 AM »
I would have likely played this against Ryan if I had the option:

Sev1
-Judicator
-Blessing
-Reckoner
Tristan
-Judicator
Min choir
Max Errants with UA
Rhoven and Bodyguard
Ayana and Holt
Covenant
Vassal
Rhupert
wracks

I think the POW 10 blast damage is actually a bigger deal than the ARM21. Granted, cryx still has a lot of boxes to grind through but dropping POW 10 blast damage on what was sure to be a packed board with infantry seems amazing. I wonder what I would have done if he had access to Mortenebra.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:54:27 AM by Other_Mike »

Charmant

• Salt Giant
  • Warcaster
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
Damn guys it feels like I'm a cast member at this point! You're just tsundere.

Also hey mike you really should come to Poland like the drunkard potato lovers said!
No God but Cheezus Christ

"If you're playing mercs you're playing with heart" - Dan Alf 13/1 2013

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »

Also hey mike you really should come to Poland like the drunkard potato lovers said!

You heard our slagging rules right? It's last episode, this episode and then we never mention you again, but have you as a loyal listener forever more! ;)

In other news I'm definitely picking up a Buccaneer for my ill-gotten Dirty Meg, which is on the painting table right now.

Mícheál Ó Puircheartaigh should totally make an appearance!

Valkine

• Warcaster
  • WTC Team Ireland 2014!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
We have eyes only for Rickard, with maybe a little side of Jocke but for legal reasons he's now an Irishman so it's not the same.

Mícheál Ó Puircheartaigh
I was not brave enough to attempt a spelling of Mickey P's new given name. It's as ridiculous looking as I had hoped it would be.

madrab

• Journeyman
  • A.K.A. Princessprettyposies
    • View Profile
    • Overload On Air
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
I managed to stay on the team, stu is off and Mícheál is on the team? Best podcast ever!
Best Kilt award at WTC2013 (suck it scotland!)

Skittles

• Clown Prince
  • Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
To Gerry:

I_Avian

• An bhfeallaire
  • Journeyman
  • The sphere of glass in my hand is your brain.
    • View Profile
    • Overload Online
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
To Gerry:

People attending the WTC will understand how true this is.

Like us on Facebook

madrab

• Journeyman
  • A.K.A. Princessprettyposies
    • View Profile
    • Overload On Air
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 06:59:24 AM »
And this year he has a team!
Best Kilt award at WTC2013 (suck it scotland!)

Siskey

• Muse Moderator
  • Warcaster
  • Man About Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
And this year he has a team!

Trying to think which members of Team Craic correspond to the other Four Horsemen :-P