Author Topic: IKRPG - anyone still running it?  (Read 3694 times)

chunky04

• Warcaster
  • Liked: 0
  • Chicken Wingding
    • View Profile
IKRPG - anyone still running it?
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »
I'm kinda curious as to how other people are going with it?

I used it to get some of my friends into RPGs, and we're currently looking at starting up again with another couple of friends added in to the mix.

hivemind66

• MK3 Fanboy
  • Warcaster
  • I aim to misbehave. - Malcolm Reynolds
    • View Profile
Re: IKRPG - anyone still running it?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
My group is open to it.  We've played Pathfinder for years now so we were pretty invested in it, but since that game fell apart, we are just now starting to talk about IKRPG.  Problem is I'm the only one who GMs because my friends are asshats so that leaves it to me to learn the rules.  How different are the rules from basic warmachine?  Is it easy to pick up and start or does it take some time to learn?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."-The Dark Tower Series -The Gunslinger

Legion of Everblight - ? pts
Minions - ? pts
Mercs - ? pts

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
Haven't played in a while (I'm not much of an RPGer, honestly) but its basically playing a super low figure count version of Warmachine with custom characters.

Polar Bear

• Thrall
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
I've been working on putting a game together for a few months. Its been sidetracked because I've been swamped with work and have had no time for anything else.

If you know warmachine then the combat is very easy to pick up and get going. Everything is based off that ruleset with more detailed actions.

DarkLegacy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »
My group has been playing for more than a year now.
"Travis is the Vulcan of our gaming group." - Majortusk

AduroT

• C'Tan Overlord
  • Epic Warcaster
  • Stuffes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:42:50 AM »
Just sold a book to someone this past week, but I don't personally know anyone who's actually running an IKRPG.

cheddercaveman

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
I've been working on putting a game together for a few months. Its been sidetracked because I've been swamped with work and have had no time for anything else.

This feels pretty much like where I am at the moment.  I've been busy enough that its really hard to find enough time to put together a compelling adventure/story/etc, followed by either finding 4ish people who know IK RPG or teaching that many, and hoping I can find a consistent group.  I know it can be done, I just haven't been able to dedicate time to it.

Darvain

• Noob
  • Who dares - wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »
I ran a company of friends for a while, NPC's is a no match for a propper character, in my games, players were able to slaughter swaths of enemy troopers with ease. Warcasters are extreemely powerfull, even more so if it's paired with a caster career.
I was able to tie them up for a while, only after I generated Arcanist/Pistolier like a propper character with 1 feat point. Otherwise, most enemies, even warjacks or other monsters are no match to PC's. It really feel like power fantasy, where casters reign supreme. Mostly because half of normal enemies can't even touch the character with DEF 14 and abowe.

Rules are somewhat different to WH, but mainly they are the same.
Zubko Denis, Moscow, Russia. 26 years, Protectorate player.
Interested in Mercs & Trollbloods.

Zeltarnin

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »
I have been running the IKRPG for my friends for about 8 months (18 sessions, about 72 hours or 54ish of play rather than chit chat). the rules are hohum, however the setting is great. Tweaking the challenges to suit the party like any RPG. My group has been having a complete ball.

Dan from Chicago

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
This feels pretty much like where I am at the moment.  I've been busy enough that its really hard to find enough time to put together a compelling adventure/story/etc, followed by either finding 4ish people who know IK RPG or teaching that many, and hoping I can find a consistent group.  I know it can be done, I just haven't been able to dedicate time to it.

If you get it rolling and are looking for people, let me know.

WSN)W

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »
I really enjoy the system. I just kicked off a dual campaign where I'm running two separate groups in the same world with the hope that their actions echo into each other (While avoiding direct interaction between them.) So the game definitely is getting some love in NM.

Stompystomp

• Noob
  • Clockwork Vessel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 03:22:11 AM »
I've been running my current group for four months now, and I had one before that (They apparently felt threatened by an NPC by the name of "The Man with the Hat" and dispersed in five different directions, end of campaign), and people seem to be having a lot of fun. I'm focusing this group a lot more on the investigation side of things rather than combat. I'm also "forcing" one of my players who frequently GMs other campaigns to do a short campaign when Unleashed comes out so I can play a Farrow.

kamilion

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
My group ended one campaign at around 75xp, then started a new one at about that same level. We abandoned that one at about 125xp or so.

Our conclusion was that the game doesn't hold together very well after heroic. At least, not for my particular gm style. It feels very D&D, where the world has to be filled with an ever escalating level of challenges to prevent characters from simply doing whatever they want with few repercussions.

Very video game like. Not sure that's a bad thing, but it's not my thing.
Josh Simpson

Meh.

Stompystomp

• Noob
  • Clockwork Vessel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 05:14:30 AM »
My group ended one campaign at around 75xp, then started a new one at about that same level. We abandoned that one at about 125xp or so.

Our conclusion was that the game doesn't hold together very well after heroic. At least, not for my particular gm style. It feels very D&D, where the world has to be filled with an ever escalating level of challenges to prevent characters from simply doing whatever they want with few repercussions.

Very video game like. Not sure that's a bad thing, but it's not my thing.

That's why I've already now showed my players how dangerous my NPCs are. They're only at 12xp, and they've been in one fight against a single dragonspawn, but the campaign is mainly focused on investigation, so the challenges they'll seek out aren't system-based. However, I've still let them meet a few of the high-level NPCs I have, none of which they wanna get on the wrong side of, so I think they're gonna be fine and I'll be able to continue my way of GMing.

Macxdmg

• Souless Seeker of Ios
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
I'm in a every other week campaign. Our GM just finished his Chemo and we started up again, it was a bit touch and go for maybe 6 months but we're 100% back in the swing of it and we're looking forward to seeing what comes of Unleashed. Three Trollbloods who dabble in fire already might be looking for another fire source.
Macxdmg/John Anderson
Angry Elves & PDoomy Theme Tier 4

"Guys don't get sperm inside them"- Collin from Muse on Minis: Miami #72
"basically, this is all about me" - cheddarcaveman

Dennbok

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »
And as a player in his campaign, we've almost finished!