Author Topic: DreadBall  (Read 1911 times)

The Blue Baron

• Random Game System Guy
  • Thrall
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
DreadBall
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
The kickstarer for Mantic's DreadBall is live!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-the-futuristic-sports-game

I am super excited about this game. I kinda missed the boat on Blood Bowl so I want to give this a try. I really like aesthetics of the game, clean neon future and all that. Anybody else have thoughts on the game?

clutch

• Hot Carl
  • Combine Members
  • Thrall
    • View Profile
Re: DreadBall
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
I want to read the rules, but it looks cool. As far as blood bowl...you have never missed the boat. Hunt down the rules and start playing. We are starting a new league for that in about a month. Still my favorite game ever.
This ain't Rock-n-Roll. This is genocide!

Brian B.

• WARMANS!
  • Combine Members
  • Epic Warcaster
  • AKA PaintVagrant, Detroit Meta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
I wonder if mantic will ever release something that isnt just a troll version of a GW product.

The Blue Baron

• Random Game System Guy
  • Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
eh, after a while everything is a troll version of another product. I think Elf ball is a closer fit. At least it's sci and therefor marginally different.  Also thanks for cleaning up some of my links in other posts.  :) Coping links on a mobile phone isn't always the best idea.

chris

Brian B.

• WARMANS!
  • Combine Members
  • Epic Warcaster
  • AKA PaintVagrant, Detroit Meta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
Hopefully the gameplay has some cool original concepts and ideas. I havent been impressed by mantic yet, but this could be really cool if they do it right.

The Blue Baron

• Random Game System Guy
  • Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
Here's the designer talking about how DreadBall is different that Blood Bowl.

http://quirkworthy.com/2012/08/27/dreadball-and-the-elephant-in-the-room/

however different it is, I feel like most people won't need two different sports miniatures game so it's going to still end up an either/or. And to be honest, i just love me some dwarfs so i'm all in for for the Forge Father team. *note I'm not a Searforge purist I just like the models*

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
Ok. So mechanically different somewhat. How about addressing the fact you are doing the same fantasy races? You have Skaven in there. And while I liked Skaven (and in a game like this that is where I would gravitate) it still comes off as straight up copying. Mix it up. Get some robots in there and stuff. Take advantage of the scifi setting to play with those tropes more.

Malarowski

• Mike Malarowski
  • Administrator
  • Epic Warcaster
  • Mike Malarowski
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
I want to read the rules, but it looks cool. As far as blood bowl...you have never missed the boat. Hunt down the rules and start playing. We are starting a new league for that in about a month. Still my favorite game ever.

We seriously need a BB side event at WMW one day!

Dustcrusher

• Noob
  • Outcast/Khaliman/Relthoza/Cut-Up/Leonine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
Ok. So mechanically different somewhat. How about addressing the fact you are doing the same fantasy races? You have Skaven in there. And while I liked Skaven (and in a game like this that is where I would gravitate) it still comes off as straight up copying. Mix it up. Get some robots in there and stuff. Take advantage of the scifi setting to play with those tropes more.

Just to update, they have robots now, as well as a Cthulhu/illithid-esque team, a team of teleporting desert lizard-looking guys, mantids (as in actual bugs, not "bugs" in the usual sci-fi sense) and intelligent apes in addition to Elves in Spaaaaace, all-female humans, and "greys" for the new teams. I'd say 5 of the teams are fairly distinct.

I bought in and I'm looking forward to a game that scratches the insane sports game itch while taking a lot less time to play (I love Blood Bowl, but the PC version has made me too lazy to think about playing it on the table again. It's just so much easier on PC).
Wake up kids, we've got the dreamer's disease.