Author Topic: So, I'm new and here to write stuff.  (Read 713 times)

Dustcrusher

• Noob
  • Liked: 0
  • Outcast/Khaliman/Relthoza/Cut-Up/Leonine
    • View Profile
So, I'm new and here to write stuff.
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »
First off, a bit about me. I've been getting into miniature tomfoolery off and on for over- um, let's just say "a long time." My first minis were Ral Partha, and my first real miniatures game was Blood Bowl (I owned the 2nd Edition Battlesystem books, but never played). I also own a copy of Heroquest, the two US released expansions, and the rare-in-the-US Barbarian Quest Pack.

Since then I've played Warzone, Necromunda, 40k 3rd Edition, Mordheim, 40k 5th Edition, and my current games Malifaux, Alkemy, and a bit of Firestorm Armada every now and then. I'm waiting on a slew of Kings of War miniatures (the Kickstarter was too sweet to pass up), and I am just starting a Leonine army for 15mm Fantasy games. I also have plenty of cardstock for dead CCGs (never cared much for Magic).

I enjoy reading about new and interesting rules systems, long walks on the beach, ranting about stuff, and rock 'n' roll.

So with that out of the way, I'd like to know what you folks would be most interested in. Here are a few ideas I've got kicking around:
  • Malifaux articles are a given since that's what brought me here.
  • I'd also like to review other systems, though I will likely not review the same stuff The Blue Baron does (though perhaps we could do a point-counterpoint at, er, some point). This would include some of the more popular systems as well as smaller independent companies and community-made free rules.
  • I've always had a thing for extolling the virtues of dead game systems and rulebooks- there are some interesting treasures to be found and lessons to be learned.
  • Board games/card games/other non-miniatures games that I think the readership might like.
  • Articles about how and why we play- I might lead with one of these so you can get an idea of what I mean.
  • Alternative games that work well with Games Workshop miniatures- the idea here is to reach across the isle with something that GW players can try, using their own minis, where said minis would actually fit in with the rules and not be awkward proxies.
There are only a few games I won't write much about- current Warhammer 40k, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, and Warmahordes. I don't think there's much demand for the first three here (at least, not frequently), and I'm here to write about not-Warmahordes anyway, though perhaps I could do a Warma-newb project sometime down the road. I don't see myself writing much about Flames of War, either- long story short I'm not into WW2 gaming.

So, what sorts of articles would you like to see?
Wake up kids, we've got the dreamer's disease.

sirslamb

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm new and here to write stuff.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
I'd like to hear more about Malifaux and alternative games that i can use a bunch of my WHFB stuff. Also atleast locally 40k seems to be re-awakening with the release of 6th.

But definately stuff on what I can use my vasts quanity of WHFB mini's for besides the off Pen&Paper RPG

Harliquine

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
I'm into skirmish games myself so anything on those would be great. I love a good reasonably priced game that doesn't require me to pack everything and the kitchen sink to play.

Maligaux articles would be nice. I'd like to hear some mid range competitive advice. I have a large Guild force and just getting some wins on the board would be good. I'm not sure about card draw and hand strategies and list construction boggles my mind.

The Blue Baron

• Random Game System Guy
  • Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
I look forward to hearing what you have to say about Malifaux. You are of course more than welcome to review anything I have as it's always good to get a second oppinion on things. I'm curious about Firestorm Armada. I've been eyeballinga Directorate fleet on and off for a few years.

Chris

Dustcrusher

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »
Excellent. I'm working on a piece for Malifaux now. I think the next one after that will be about Song of Blades and Heroes. I want to hold off on Firestorm until I have a chance to look at the new rulebook.

EDIT: Done. I've gone over the strengths and weaknesses of Malifaux as a game here: http://museonminis.com/why-trymalifaux/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:23:23 PM by Dustcrusher »

Dustcrusher

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
Long time no see, folks. I've got a couple of new games I could write about next, or I could try to do something more about Malifaux (especially in light of the new Masters recently released). Any thoughts on which?