Author Topic: Android Netrunner: the thread  (Read 1328 times)

Mustakrakish

• Journeyman
  • Liked: 0
  • "PPS_HUNGERFORD: MEAT SWEATS!"
    • View Profile
Android Netrunner: the thread
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »
I love this game so much and I haven't even had a chance to play it. Lets talk deck builds, organize play on OCTGN.net, and general A:N awesomeness. There are a few podcasts I've picked up that are nice, and the Team Covenant videos are pretty sweet.

When I'm not on my phone, I'll edit this with links and stuff to podcasts and uncensored images for cards to use on OCTGN.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
Re: Android Netrunner: the thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
First link: Card Game Database (recently purchased by FFG):  http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html

I too love this game.  I find talking about it on most boards becomes "Dude, go play that deck the guy won X tournament with" and it's like an even worse version of posting on the PP main boards!  I'll throw out a Jinteki deck I have been working on and solicit some feedback here though :)

I want to start approaching deck building like I do a Warmachine army.  Play a build and make minor adjustments and keep playing it.  With my current deck I found I can win some but I am really missing some ICE. 

Agenda (12)
Fetal AI (Trace Amount) x3
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x3
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead) x3

Asset (16)
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus) x2
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Project Junebug (Core) x2
Ronin (Future Proof) x3
Snare! (Core) x3
Aggressive Secretary (Core) x3

ICE (12)
Chimera (Cyber Exodus) x3
Chum (Core) x3
Neural Katana (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x3

Operation (9)
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Neural EMP (Core) x3
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3

So the obvious is dropping Chum for a real piece of ICE.  Other then that I am kind of perplexed on where I can beg some more ICE from.  With no real ways to tag the Security Force is mostly there to make my opponent scared, it serves no real purpose so I can turn those in to two 3 point agendas and gain net 1 card.  My other issue is I am money light.  I have this issue with Jinteki a lot as there are so many good cards!

Feedback?  Thoughts?
I think what Jestor is really trying to say is NORTH EAST META #1 TempleCon> ALL

Mustakrakish

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
Which jinteki identity are you running?

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
Sorry, the core one that is do one net damage if you score an agenda or if an agenda is stolen.
I think what Jestor is really trying to say is NORTH EAST META #1 TempleCon> ALL

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »
Sorry, the core one that is do one net damage if you score an agenda or if an agenda is stolen.

I saw someone running Red Herrings in Jinteki with the core identity, simply since his primary agendas were Fetal AI's, and it would cost 7 to steal them AND inflict 4 damage (Hosukai grid) when they did it! Seems like a great think for many Jinteki builds, since often Runners will reach your Agenda and find that they are just unable to take it for one or another reason.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »

I saw someone running Red Herrings in Jinteki with the core identity, simply since his primary agendas were Fetal AI's, and it would cost 7 to steal them AND inflict 4 damage (Hosukai grid) when they did it! Seems like a great think for many Jinteki builds, since often Runners will reach your Agenda and find that they are just unable to take it for one or another reason.

That seems good, I may fumble around and try that out :)  I played that deck I posted with some more ICE and it was okay but I didn't have the money to fuel Chimera's so I think I am talking them out, sounds like a solid replacement.  Any other thoughts?

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »
I currently have a Jinteki deck built. Let me get the decklist:

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection

1 Private Security Force
3 Nisei
2 Gila Hands Arcology
2 Brain trust
2 Executive Retreat

3 Snare
3 ronin
3 pad campaign
3 Private Contacts
3 Server Diagnostics
3 Encryption Protocols

2 Neural Katana
3 Shadow
3 Draco
2 Chimera
3 Datapike
3 Ash 2x3zB9CY
3 Hokusai Grid

2 Closed Accounts

Ok, its weird. It runs barely any Ice, and it doesn't have Fetal AI...WTFFFFF..

essentially, I want to hurt the runner badly in all dimensions and then score agendas while they are recovering.

So one of the best parts of this deck is that it can go horizontally for miiiiles because running a pad campaign is worth 4 credits often. Running a central server and hitting an ice, and then hitting a pad campaign is less worth it, especially if I then raise 3 Encryption Protocols, costing it 7 to trash.

So Ive got a bunch of servers, all giving me money, some with Ice in front of them (since Running centrals and then running a Remote is far harder to justify than a single hail mary run through a massive datafort.

I have upgrades on my centrals. Running R&D for a dig is easy with the kind of Ice I have set up, but there is an ash and a Hokusai at the end of it, meaning money to stop the trace and a net damage, and Ash costs 6 to trash and Hosukai 7 simply because of the encyryption protocols, and its really hard to trash encryption protocols when you have to run centrals to do it first.

Half of my Ice causes tags, as well as the snares in the deck, this is great for killing resources cards like Kati Jones who often gets totally bukkake'd in money until their hail mary turn. Especially if you closed account them and then Private security force a meat damage. That means that they have 0 economy, they have to spend 2 Clicks to take money and then remove the tag and then...run a central since they can't run a remote.

Its a taxing deck, and eventually the runner will either succumb to the massive amounts of slings and arrows launched at them, or I can crack through my agendas while they watch from their Jinteki-subsidized hospital bed.

Right now there are a few things I want to try. I want to drop something for some Red Herrings, since moar money is moar better, and if they need to spend 5 to get the agenda, they probably don't have the 6 to trash the Red Herrings. I am also wondering whether I should drop the Niseis for Fetal AI's. Less chance of me actually scoring them, but more chance of it utterly screwing a runner for more net damage.

I do like Nisei's simply because you let them pull their money off Katie Jones, then they run your central server and blow money on cracking it. Then they hit your next server and get through that ice. Then you end the run, and see if they can afford to do it again, and whether they can endure the Ash at  the end of it...

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »
IMO, Fetal AI is the best Agenda in the entire game. If one is playing Jinteki and not running it, something is wrong.

Not a huge fan of Executive Retreat. Bit expensive. I also personally with Jinteki do not like 3 pt Agendas. I want to make you steal as many Agendas as possible to win this. I want to make it HURT. I'd probably drop the two Executives and one Ash (being unique, I don't tend to like to run three of a card. If they don't trash it, you get multiple copies holding up your hand) for three Fetals. Play from there.

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
Fetal AI is very good, but I don't think its the best Agenda.

In order I think the best agendas are:

- Astroscript Pilot Program
- Efficiency Committee
- Breaking News

The Fetal AI is a 5 for 2, which is a pretty bad conversion, and it only gives you things when they steal it. It doesn't necessarily actively help you win the game. I also find that if you want a trap Agenda, then 'TGTBT" is going to be better because its easier to actually score, as well as giving a nasty backlash to the runner, Especially since I feel that TGTBT is going to be great with Chilo and Bernice, rather than Sansan.

I do like Fetal AI's, don't get me wrong. But 5 for 2 is a really bitter pill.

The Executive retreat is actually a very powerful agenda, in my mind, since it makes your hand immune to HQ digs for a turn. Having no cards in your hand helps toss away agenda floods in your hand and put it back into RnD, as well as just having a turn or 2 or 3 where running on your hand is not likely to get anything good.

If you have Jackson Howard, you could also lose your hand, spend your turns slowly (or quickly) drawing up to 5, and then executive up to 10, then toss away 3 agendas into archives, where you can pull it out at any time if the runner catches on, but a nice little secret hidey hole for Agendas which isn't in HQ or RnD while still picking up a set of nice cards to stimulate your economy/ position.

Taking 3 of Ash is mainly so I draw at least 1 early. I could stand to lose 1 and pick up some other cards.

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
My only response is that Jackson Howard is retarded good...

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
My only response is that Jackson Howard is retarded good...

As a person who *loves* NBN and corporations in general...I love it.

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
Android Netrunner: the thread
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »
Oh he is just amazing. That he is neutral is sooooooo good.

Also, I'm a Jinteki lover. I need to get back to this game more. I really havent gotten to play it in too long now.

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:42 AM »

Also, I'm a Jinteki lover. I need to get back to this game more. I really havent gotten to play it in too long now.

He isn't Neutral, he's NBN. only 1 Influence, though.

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »

He isn't Neutral, he's NBN. only 1 Influence, though.
Sorry. Been a while since I looked at the spoilers. I knew he was cheap enough to end up in every deck without a problem.

Mustakrakish

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
Got 4 games in today. Just learning, so only using precons (and the ones in Creation and Control). I gotta say, Shaper is pretty fucking good. Especially the one in Creation and Control. They can just go get whatever they need, when they need.... Needs more Decoders though, to really take advantage of Kit's ability.

I taught a friend how to play, and I'll probably gift him a core set because he likes card games, but haaaates the CCG model. I own every data pack and expansion and 2x core, and still have spent less than 2 booster boxes of the latest set of magic... You just can't argue with that.

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »
Never cared much for Shapers. Too...normal for my taste. Favourite Runner has always been Noise. The virus gameplan is a bit more off the wall and fun. But I just don't care for Runner nearly as much as Corp.

I also haven't really looked at the Shaper cards too hard since C&C came out. So maybe something in there will catch me. But I've actually deconstructed my decks because we just haven't been playing for a while now and as new packs have come out, I haven't been adjusting. Probably gonna' return to just one of each side and get a deck Ir really like and just keep tweaking that in the future.

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »
But I've actually deconstructed my decks because we just haven't been playing for a while now and as new packs have come out, I haven't been adjusting. Probably gonna' return to just one of each side and get a deck Ir really like and just keep tweaking that in the future.

Honestly, the expansion rate has been the biggest reason I've not put in feverish devotion to the game.  New cards come out so regularly the game doesn't seem to get a chance to settle and it always feels like spending the time to invest in deck design is going to be wasted in a month anyway.  I'd rather see half as many data packs that were twice as large personally.  That might also help balance out what each faction gets.  The cycles are obviously designed as one and its really obnoxious when huge dangling gap for a faction (Baele....).

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
I think the rate of expansion is fine.  If I am building a deck I have 15 new cards every month or so.  I can easily tweek my deck based on these or continue playing it as is.  Nothing shifts the meta in a huge way month to month.  Every once in a while a card comes along like Atman that really effects the game but I think most the cards are just different flavors of the same ice cream.

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
The new Jinteki cards spoiled make me moist.

- The Cleaners is a pretty good agenda. 5/3 is hard to pull off, but if you do so then Private Security force, Flare, Scorched earth, etc, all become far more dangerous. So it increases the potency of BOTH win conditions, since you have 3 scored agenda points, and all meat damage is more likely to flatline a runner.

- The Hive is a rediculous early game piece of Ice, where cracking through it even with snowball will cost the runner 6 creds, which is not the easiest pill to swallow. I feel it will be better in Decks which don't rely on Posted Bounty and ... the other cheap agenda I am blanking on the name of. If you use Big Agendas, then it will remain powerful until you have built enough defences to get your server ready.

- I think Swordsman will change the Meta, but will only be present in a few decks. 1 Influence and a powerful anti-AI subroutine will be great at forcing runners to consider he will be in a deck when they build. Essentially, Katman and other AI only decks will be screwed since they cannot get into servers with Swordsmen on them. Building an unrunnable server suite (HQ, RnD, Remote for Agendas) is too powerful to not run certain things in their deck. Its main issues are parasite, Deus Ex, Femme and normal sentry breakers, since if there are no AI's then its an expensive 1 net damage.

- Wraparound is beautiful to me. Its mechanic of going to Strength 7 without a Fractor is awesome against AI again, making him very expensive to break through, while being cheap for the Corp. I can see it having a place in NBN trash decks, where you run Aggressive Secretaries, To Good to be Trues, etc all to just smash the runners shit, since if you can take their fractor off the board, your Ice gets better.

- Caprice Nisei is bonkers. One of the best corp cards in the game. Essentially her ability is, on a purely random basis, 66% chance to fail a run on a server she is on without getting the ability to trash her. At 4 Influence, I could still justify running 1 of her in certain HB and Weyland decks to enforce a way to end the run after they manage to get through your ice with their economy.

- Shinobi is the scariest black ops ICE so far, being that it is one of the only pieces of ice which, with some help, can kill a runner with 5 cards in their hand. It is a reason to run Net Police in your deck because free creds are awesome on traces, and I will guarantee that runners will start to run more Link in their decks due to this card.

- Shock is amazing. Mainly because you can access it from archives and still take the damage. Essentially it makes Datasuckers less powerful if you start tossing away your Shocks since they won't get a free pass into your archives and you don't necessarily have to put ICE there anymore. Costing 2 to trash is also beautiful since I run a triple encryption protocol in my Jinteki deck, and so costing 5 to trash my trap ensures that it will stay safe in my RnD and Hand.

- I like NAPD contract because I love it when a Runner can access your Agendas, but can't steal them. This Agenda is best in NBN where you can easily put Red Herrings on it, making it cost 9 to steal, while NBN doesn't have a way to put BP on themselves. Also, a 4-2 is reasonably good when its hard to steal.

- Marker...Not too sure about it. Its very similar to Sensei, but cheaper I guess? But not as good? At 1 influence its easy to put in places like HB, who really enjoy extra End the Run Subroutines on their bioroids.

- Sundew is rather awesome, especially in Jinteki identity where you have to run on centrals before you can run on remotes, since it essentially says "What do you prefer? The corp getting 2 creds a turn in your turn? Or you wasting 2 clicks and encountering at least 1 piece of ICE to get rid of a 2 to trash card? Definitely running Encryption protocol on this one, since I can easily make it cost 5+ breaking the Ice 7-8 +2 clicks to get rid of, giving me a very safe economy engine.

- Yagura is actually quite hilarious because its a money siphon (except against Yog, of course.) Either they spend the money to break it, or whenever they run on RnD you get to check the card they will look at and, if its an Agenda, toss it to the bottom of the deck if you don't want it stolen (but if its a Fetal AI, or NAPD contract they might not be able to steal it due to net damage/money issues).

AWWWWWEEEESOME stuff for corps coming in the next few months. The amount of Jinteki says to me that I think Jinteki is the next Boxed set.

Mustakrakish

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 07:30:35 AM »
I played a game on OCTGN last night with my test jinteki deck. It's all about hiding project junebug and that new HB trap from C&C behind big Ice. Hit a 2 or 3 advanced junebug once and I can score the rest of my shit freely after that

Mustakrakish

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
I'll post a link up the OCTGN Netrunner repository later. I fully endorse installing it and we could get some games in.

Edit:

OCTGN Netrunner: dbzer0.com/blog/androidnetrunner-on-octgn/

The repository (non censored cards for OCTGN): http://www.mediafire.com/folder/v0rle04w0ko3u/ANR_OCTGN_Depository#v0rle04w0ko3u

Hot keys cheat sheet: https://raw.github.com/db0/Android-Netrunner-OCTGN/master/OCTGN%20Android_Netrunner%20Hotkeys.png

Install OCTGN, download the complete pack from the Repository and install those image sets as per instructions on first link, study crib sheet, make a deck on cardgamedb.com and export in OCTGN format, let's D-D-D-DUEL!

Also a fun link, explaining netrunner to Magic Players: magiclampoon.com/blog/2012/09/16/netrunner-for-magic-players/

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
Those new cards look legit.  Screw you Atman!

Alviaran

• Epic Warcaster
  • /popcorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »
Oh my god...my evil Jinteki loving heart is getting so turned on by this.

Nisei and Sundew are the standouts. Nisei lets me play a weird game with the Runner that is difficult to stop (since unlike the other versions of this mechanic in ICE, you need to get through the mechanic instead of just being able to break through). And Sundew...hehe. Also, screw the second Jinteki ID still. I still wanna' punish you for taking things from me, though I do see the synergy. Because I love making the Runner get worried as they take their licks to get to my agendas that maybe, the agenda will kill them. I've see Runners jack out on a run because of that. They had to. They couldn't risk it beyond a certain point.

The Hive though is silly good. I foresee myself tossing this in my Jinteki deck actually since the Jinteki agendas I love so much are intentionally unbalanced in terms of cost to points. Also, really good in any fast advance deck for the early game while they try to set up to do their fast advance drop and scores. Protect the hand while you accumulate there and then start dropping to score.

And get your carapaces ready. Scorched Earth is scarier than ever before...

octavius_maximus

• Epic Warcaster
  • Dojo Mister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
Moar Spoilers:

This card includes a really interesting strategy. Essentially you get it in your hand and you use it, getting a free click for money, essentially. Seems bad.

But for the rest of the game, when your turn starts, if the runner doesn't run, you can bring it back to your hand again, meaning that over the course of the game, you have 2-3 cards that recur into your hand and protect it. Now on your turn you can drop an asset and 2 operations and still have 5 cards in your hand, rather than 2 Agendas waiting for 2 runs on HQ.

You can choose to not bring them back (or just use 1 for a free money and toss the rest away).

I like it, its Hand Defense. Its also great for Celebrity gift builds since its a relatively *useless* card to Show, and you can get it back. Cerebral Imaging with recurring celebrity gifts and 3 of these will be very economically viable and makes your hand extremely difficult to run on because you will always have the chance to add 3 *null* cards to them if you will be vulnerable afterwards.

Its kind of like the new Jinteki Barrier that can, for 2 creds, be brought back to your hand to protect you when they successfully run it.

The Second Spoiler doesnt have a picture, but here is the Text:

Power Shutdown
Weyland Operation
Cost $1

Grey Ops? Influence ? (I think 2 but not sure)

Trash the top X cards of R&D.The runner must trash a piece of Hardware or a Program of cost X or less (runner chooses).

This is another way that a corp can ATTACK a runner without them having to be tagged, or to do a run or anything.

Are you facing a Yogosaurus shaper? Mill 5 cards off your RnD and make them choose between their Magnum Opus or their Dinosaurus. Anarch? Mill 2 and they have to choose between killing their Parasite, Djinn or a Cyberfeeder.

And if you have Jackson Howard, you can easily just pull 3 of them back into RnD.

3 cards to kill one of the crims Snitchs or their Desperado/Doppelganger.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
Re-read it, you gain 1 click and 1 credit for zero credits.  It's good all by itself nevermind the recurring back to hand mechanic.  This will probably see 3 copies in most tournament decks.

LunarSol

• Epic Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
Re-read it, you gain 1 click and 1 credit for zero credits.  It's good all by itself nevermind the recurring back to hand mechanic.  This will probably see 3 copies in most tournament decks.

Well, it costs a click to use, so really the card just gives you a free credit.  After its been used it acts as an unstoppable "the Corp receives 1 credit if the runner did not make a run last turn" with some secondary applications for filling up HQ.  Solid card, though multiples aren't particularly powerful compared to just one and it still is a card you have to draw in place of something else.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
If it allows me to trim out other economy cards AND helps me force the runner in to do something then I call that a win.  If the runner doesn't run like I want him to, I get more free economy.  Any deck that is building super servers or looking to tag the runner will like this card.

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
I went to my first Netrunner tournament this weekend.  I think the format has a lot to be desired but it was a real fun time.  Report here -

http://jestorsminihouse.blogspot.com/2013/11/netrunner-tournament-thoughts-and-recap.html

Mustakrakish

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
I went to my first Netrunner tournament this weekend.  I think the format has a lot to be desired but it was a real fun time.  Report here -

http://jestorsminihouse.blogspot.com/2013/11/netrunner-tournament-thoughts-and-recap.html

Right away for the Andy deck I'd drop 3x easy mark and sub in 3x special orders. It keys you tutor for an ice breaker for cheap. That way you are never caught wanting. I'm also a huge fan of hostage so I can get Kati turn one, and I like professional contacts. That click for credit and draw is ultra nice

Jestor

• Warcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
The problem with Professional Contacts is I am already at max on influence.  I don't generally have to tutor for Kati as I pretty much hunt for her with my mulligan.  This was my last run with this deck.  I know my local group is going to start teching hard for AI's so I am going to totally switch it up.  I am probably going to make a similar Weyland deck to my round 3 opponent as it seemed really fun.  I am thinking about Kate as my runner as she is just extremely solid at getting an efficient rig out fast.