Author Topic: HÉT 2013 Battle Reports  (Read 4293 times)

n00buaddib

• Noob
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
HÉT 2013 Battle Reports
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »
Hey guys. Those of you following Baffo's articles probably heard about this a good week ago, we went to our first big international tourney to see how we match up against the big boys. Here are the final standings and the rest I'll just copy paste from my reports from PP's Protectorate boards, with all the grammatical errors that come from not proof reading enough (I was really short on time when I was writing them and now I'm just really lazy, if a single person expresses a complaint I'll actually still go do it. XD). Hope you enjoy it, we sure did.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Casters: 1/1
Feora, Protector of the Flame (*6pts)
* Judicator (18pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance (3pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Casters: 1/1
High Executioner Servath Reznik (*6pts)
* Fire of Salvation (9pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
Exemplar Errant Seneschal (2pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

eFeora's would probably be considered pretty standard so I won't go into that too much. It's anti infantry potential should be obvious to any follower of the true faith while a colossal and 2 heavies (with Ignite and battle hymn) insure you have plenty anti armour potential as well. Reznik's more of a wild card and a personal preference of mine, guy's just boss at assassinating (my favourite playstyle) and a bit of a middle finger vs my regular troll opponent with whom in mind this list was built. At this point I should point out I played Reznik in 5-8 games vs his eDoomy brick and didn't win a single time. Came close to it a couple of times but never out on top.

4 of us planed on making the trip to Hungary, Weef (troolbloods), Baffo (you've probably heard of him if you're following Muse on Minis or Steamforged (Khador)) me and James (Legion) but sadly James found out he won't have time after we extended our trip to the whole weekend so we; ok not we, just me ; could play Malifaux on Sunday as well. We left Slovenia on Friday at about 3 o'clock and after a lot of hassling with a half working GPS finally found our motel and gaming venue at about 8, 9 o'clock that evening. After a trip to city proper with a lot of the other tourney participants and organizers into a lovely pub, we each had a few beers or spirits of choice and were back at about half past midnight to get some much needed sleep.

Saturday evening, rise and shine at 8am, a quick breakfast, 50m walk to the gaming venue which was just mind bogglingly awesome (I gotta find some pictures for you guys, seriously THE best place for a tournament I've ever been to) with lots of room and light and we were all hyped up for our first game. At this point I have to apologize for not remembering names of my opponents, I'm terrible at that as it is but Hungarian names are just unpronouncable to me so I didn't even try to bother. I usually shook my opponent's hand and kindly asked him to write his name on my record sheet.

Game 1

I got a local legion player, he only had 1 list and it was an Aby tier 4. Angel, Seraph, Carni, Typhon, Naga, 3ish Shredders and some fury management pieces, think it was 2 Forsakens and 2 Sheppards. Since he only had 1 list I figured he's either new to the game or wasn't taking the tournament super seriously and it felt wrong to pull out a fire immune caster that could shot all his support pieces in 1 turn and fairly easily deal with heavies afterwards. So in spirit of everyone having fun, I opted for Reznik, a decision I would soon almost come to regret. Scenario was Ammunition Run and he won the roll and chose to go first.

turn 1: His army was deployed evenly across the center with heavies in front and support in the back (duh). I had jacks and Reznik in center with supports in the back, Errants on my left flank looking at the objective to destroy and Zealots on my right, looking to hold the zone for as long as possible. not much exciting happening, he ran/walked everything forward pretty cautiously and I did the same. Since his Typhon was pretty far up right in front of my Zealots, I chose to mini feat and in retrospect, it may have been a turn too soon. Rhupert put tough on Errants and I crossed my fingers for the next turn.

turn2: Errant killing time for my Legion. Seraph with 4 shots, Angelius, Naga and a Carnivian spray all tried to inflict as much punishment on my front line as they could (love which could have been spread around more evenly if I didn't feat with Zealots) but thanks to a wall in front of a handful of Errants and some careful sacrificing, I think I ended up losing only about 6. He put all his defensive animi up and it was my turn to get something done. I chose to go for scenario objectives and messed pretty much everything up. Ran Madelyn up the board next to the central objective, some Zealots on his side of the zone to clog everything up and charged my left objective with Errants. Not having read the rules carefuly enough, it blew in my face and killed 3 more Errants for their trouble. I was a bit surprised but more importantly, I noticed Madelyn was next to the central objective as well. Having passed the point of no return, I went on with my plan and destroyed that one with Avatar, killing Madelyn and some Zealots in the process, put enliven on Avatar, Hymn of...the no shooty one on both jacks, camped 5 on Reznik and prepared for his counter attack. I was in a pretty rough spot with a lot of his heavies looking down on my jacks so I tried a hail mary Black Oil with Gorman, who was about an inch short of hitting Typhon. By pure luck, I managed to roll a 1 for deviation and 3 for distance which put a Black Oil bomb right on his Typhon, clipping Seraph in the process. That meant Carni was out of range and the only one that could reach my heavies was the Angel.

turn3: You know how Angels are usually taken in pairs so they can kill a heavy in one turn? Granted Aby gives one +2str (and +2def, an upkeep practically made for them) but I was still pretty sure he can't kill my heavy 1vs1. A pretty non spiking AP attack later and 3 bought attacks that rolled 6,6; 6,5 and 5,6 on damage later I was proven wrong and my FoS was reduced to a pile of pierced rubble. Carni spray and I think 2 Shredders attacking avatar also lost him his Burning Wrath and things were looking more and more grim for me. Naga shot another Errant and another Shredder ate two more, zealots were dying to Typhon's reach melee attacks and the game was slipping away from me fast. On my turn, I figured Aby was just in Reznik's charge range (damn my brain not working properly putting Madelyn next to a cache full of ammo), if I could only get Angel out of the way. Avatar rolled 4 focus and I was confident that even with his trusty sword in a sub par condition, I'd be able to kill him without activating Reza. There was no way I was going to hit def 17 even with mat 10 on just one dice, so Gorman took out his trusty grenades again and promptly lowered Angel's defence to a more managable 13 which meant I only needed 3's to hit and my damage rolls would be on +5. Avatar walked in, shield bashed it for a few damage points (good start) and then promptly missed all 5 of his proper attacks. Ancillary attack later and the amount of 3s I couldn't roll increased by 1. With everything going to hell in a picnic basket, Reznik cast EoD and killed Carni and Angel standing a few inches away from him (how he loves things with upkeeps) which left him at 0 focus, standing in ex FoS (so he at least had cover) and crossed his fingers Typhon rolled as bad as Avatar did. I ran the book in front of Reznik in vain hope of it soaking up some damage or distract my opponent from killing me.

turn4: Started by Legion killing some zealots which I didn't really understand and activating the pot (he had that as well) for the first time to spawn a shredder. He charged the book with a Forsaken and killed it, which left a charge lane for Typhon to come to Reznik. He activated that next, declared the charge, I was like ''fine, let's get this over with'', thinking the game lost for good anyway when something I can only explain as divine intervention happened. My mate Weef walked by, having already finished his game and was like ''I don't think that lane's wide enough, he'd clip Forsaken there or Gorman on the other side.'' I was a bit surprised myself he didn't just walk up and breathe flames on me 3 times but I really wanted to get the game over with so I explained I'm just going to let him charge when one of his mates walked by. They exchanged some words in hungarian, the dude said there's no way that lane is clear and that he's getting a laser. A few minutes and a lot of measuring with laser later, we determined the lane wasn't clear by a long shot and Typhon failed his charge. My opponent seemed a bit put down but he put carnivore on Aby, morphed strength and flight and charged Reznik to finish the game anyway. He hit, rolled tripple ones on damage and at that point, the game was over for him. 2 more attacks that did a bit of damage, and it was Reznik's turn. Engine of Destruction, Purgation and I think he killed her in one swing.

Fun opponent, very back and forth game which could easily swing in either one's favour. At the end, the dice (and Menoth, sending me heathens to back sit game at just the right moment) favoured me.

Game 2:

I faced an Austrian dude who goes by the name of Stefan Riegler. The most fun opponent I've played vs the whole day, we played a really tight and friendly game but the matchup was in my favour just too much. He had pIrusk and...another infantry heavy list. With a smile to my ears, I put eFeora's card on the table, knowing this was pretty much what my army was made against. He played pIrusk, Behemoth, Great Bears, full IFP & UA, full Assault Commandos +3WAs, Greylords, pAlexia with Valachev and some support pieces. Scenario was Outflank, with a wall placed pretty much across the center of each 12'' circle parallel with deployment zones.

I won't describe the game turn by turn, suffice to say he was swarming me with everything and I couldn't really move forward all that much (I managed to get far enough to toe the zone on my right) for 3 turns, but I managed to kill a good chunk of his army every turn. Then that army got recicled by Alexia and I had to kill them all over again. The toughest were Assault Commandos, camping in front of my line in shield wall (effectively immune to blast dmg) and immune to fire, which Reckoner was killing 1 by 1 with his club after eEiryss repeatedly shot Iron Flesh off them every turn.

So after 3 turns or so, all he had left was Behemoth in the zone pretty near my jack line, a lone great bear and Iruks behind them + one or two support pieces. I shot Behe with Eiryss last turn so he was disrupted but he recast that jack upkeep on him, bloodlust on the great bear and boosted a pistol shot against Judi. So a boosted pistol shot on judi, behe walking over the wall and hitting him twice (with no boost) and the last remaining great bear walking over the wall (relentless charge guy was dead) and hitting judi twice with 4 dice left my colossal on about....14hp? I couldn't believe my eyes. Next turn I repaired him for a point so he scraped behemoth and I killed some left over pieces but I couldn't quite get to Irusk. on his 6th turn (or so :P ), he walked Irusk forward, boosted 2 damage shots on his pistol and cast Grind (!!!) on him which finished him off. Epic conclusion to a very fun game and I really felt like he deserved it. Then Reckoner walked up and killed Irusk but by that point, we were still both like ''holy crap he killed the colossal!'' and felt like he's done more then he could hope for in such a bad matchup.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:10:04 PM by n00buaddib »

n00buaddib

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: HÉT 2013 Battle Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Game 3:

Played vs Wolfy, one of the best locals who brought Khador. He had a Vlad3 list and eButcher tier 4. I picked Feora again and he played eButcher, 3 units of Doom Reavers with UAs, Conquest, Spriggan, Wardog, Fenris and...I think that was it. Scenario was Rally point. He deployed all his normal deployed things in the middle and spread the Doom Reavers 1 in the center (AD) and a unit on each flank. He went first.

turn1: he advanced everything and I shot a lot of doom reavers. Zealots were on my right flank, poping mini feat to survive the Doom Reaver charge the rest was pretty standard.

turn2: Doom Reavers ran in, engaging my Zealots and all the jacks, 2 charged Conquest and did some damage, the rest of his army advancing behind them. On my turn, Zealots killed my Eiryss and most all of the surviving Doom Reavers with help from Judi's flamers and all the aoes flying around and the game took a turn for the better for both of us. Till this point, the game wasn't exactly...friendly, I was annoyed he switched on my time whenever I was marking damage and such (I had pen ready in hand and it took a second or two so it was more of an annoyance then anything, but it irked me to no ends) and he didn't appreciate me constantly telling him to stop bending the measuring tape and move in straight sections. Main judge (really friendly and a great guy) took note of it and was standing next to our table pretty much the whole time while we just escalated the situation with every move and remark we made. I was thinking of conceding the game several times because it was so unenjoyable, he actually offered me his hand at some point to finish the game (which I didn't accept) and then he made one of the coolest moves ever. He asked the judge if we could pause the game to let our tempers cool a bit, me and the judge both agreed, he grabbed a beer, I got my cigarettes and we took a 5 minute break to discuss the differences in our competitive metas and what irked us about each other's playing. After that, we returned to the table and finished the game in a really enjoyable and friendly fashion.

turn 3: he ran Fenris (who was running down my left flank the whole game) behind my battle line around a forest, engaging 2 of my choir and threatening me from the back. He feated, only managed to get 1 feat token off a zealot which he used to get his Spriggan next to my Judicator and I think eButch scored a point by dominating his zone. I advanced my Reckoner back to deal with Fenris which he dismounted and killed in 2 attacks (he was pretty unlucky with tough rolls the whole game), killed Spriggan with Judi and spread the Zealots around Conquest which was dangerously near my jack wall. Somewhere along the game my Vanquisher probably got scrapped because I don't remember having it at this point.

turn4: He was running out of stuff fast but he trampled over Zealots and next to my Judi. Dunno why but I felt totally safe with those guys encircling him and having my beloved gargossal killed several times by a Conquest, my breath cought in my throat. As it turned out, even with trampling for free and fury, 3 attacks weren't nearly enough to kill him (5 would have been easily) so Zealots did their job after all, eButcher scored another point by dominating and in my turn, I activated my mech, he passed his rally roll like a boss and repaired a point or two, just enough to slap the broken army back into place on judi. Battle Hymn, Ignite and 6 attacks later (gotta love the bond), Conquest was left standing on a handful of hp so the last attack from Ancillary attack finished him off. I advanced the remaining Zealots forward to lob bombs at his objective, destroying it.

turn5: He only had Butcher and wardog left, rolled for focus and the roll was a 1. If he got 3+, he could charge my Judicator and probably finish it off, as it happened he didn't have nearly enough so he charged the closest one of my zealots and tried to spin through them to the zone on my left to dominate it (I totally didn't see it coming) which would leave him at 4 control points and with a tad of luck in a nice spot to survive a turn and maybe win on the next one. As it happened, the last 2 were spaced a bit too far from each other (blind luck on my part, didn't plan on him doing that at all) so he fell short and conceded the game afterwards. We shook hands, offered apologies for first 2 turns and went to prepare for the next game.

At this point, the only 3 people undefeated so far were Baffo, Weef and me so it was inevitable we'd face one another somehow. TO did a great job in keeping same factions and players from same metas from playing each other but that was about to change. They announced the pairings, I got to play against an army which I've tried to beat for the past few months and never could and Baffo was paired vs a Cryx player with eDenny and eGaspy. Rough.

Game 4:

I whine about trolls. A lot. No matter how many times people say they think they're not strong enough right now, I just can't agree. The fact one of our best players plays them really well probably doesn't help, but that eDoomy list is a nightmare for me to face, something punctuated by a fact I built a list pretty much against it. Weef's running eMadrak with Fenns and Tuffaloes and Bomber and stuff and the monstrosity I faced, eDoomshaper with Mulg, Earthborn, Pyre, Battle Engine, Stones+annoying UA that's pretty much a huge middle finger to Feoras, Jannisa, Whelps, Axer, Bone Grinders and possibly something else I've forgotten. Oh yeah, Totem Hunter. He won the roll, chose to go first and the scenario was Chemical Reaction.

turn1: He set his whole army around the middle in standard formation with Wagon on my left flank. I had Zealots and Avatar on left, Reznik, FoS and support in the center and Errants on the right. First turn we both ran forward and not much happened.

turn2: He advanced forward, shot battle engine's pie on monolith bearer to kill him, he missed, the thing scattered away clipping Gorman and he rolled a 9 on damage, killing him instantly. He left Earthborn in a funny spot near the center where I figured I could charge him with FoS. On my turn, I charged his battle engine with Avatar (whom I was begging to perform for once because I really needed him to and he responded by rolling a flat 1 for focus, main judge was at the table laughing along with my opponent) but still managed to kill him. If I got 3 focus I'd also use Gaze and that would probably prevent Mulg from coming to him since mini feated Zealots were in the way and he'd have to curve waaay around. On the flip side, FoS charged Earthborn and killed it (I was whooping like an excited monkey about this) 3 Errants charged Totem Hunter, 2 hit on 7's but failed to kill him with 4 dice -6 on damage rolls, leaving him on 1 wound and contesting the zone.

turn3: Weef walked Mulg next to avatar, held his shield in place with his off hand (for free due to Doomy's feat) by performing a weapon lock and beat his into a pile of bent metal plates and curtains. The next time someone whines trolls are underpowered, please tell him how their heavy can walk 9'' (11 if you accidentally damaged it), perform a power attack that does 0 dmg (forfeiting initial attacks) and still have enough power to kill one of the toughest warjacks around. Underpowered my arse. After that and about a minute of thinking, he announced he has a brilliant plan that involves pushing my magic immune greater destenied Zealots out of his zone with Janissa (another underpowered piece) and win on dominating the zone since he was to be the first to dominate. That plan fell apart after we found out Janissa was more then 8'' away from the last Zealot in the zone (about 8,5'') and he announced the game was probably over for him, since we both had our armies positioned to protect the caster dominating opponent's zone. At that point, I agreed with his reasoning but determined not to make silly mistakes that would get Reznik killed due to carelessness. So I finally killed the totem hunter and pyre troll handing around, dominated his zone for 3CP and tried to put as much stuff between his army and Reznik as possible.

turn4: ...started with me, after about a year playing against eDoomy realizing goad is 2 inches, not 1 as I originally thought and suddenly all that stuff in front of Reznik didn't seem like such a grand idea anymore. Loudly cursing trolls and their underpowerdness I set on weathering the storm that was coming and offered a silent prayer to Menoth for good dice once more. He took quite a lot of time, I think it was something like 15 or 20 minutes which felt like hours to me and announced he may have a shot at taking down Reznik. Even with a ton of stuff between him and Mulg, 5 focus camped and fairly good positioning, I've lost to desperate assassination runs one too many times to not feel nervous. So he shifted my stuff around with Janissa (did I mention she's not nearly worth 3 BLOODY POINTS due to ''tough tax'' and other rubbish I'm hearing?!) eDoomy taking care of Covenant and some more shifting and elbowing in his ranks, Mulg was ready. He trampled forward, took a swing and Piper (who was in his way) and...I passed a tough roll. I cannot explain how awesome it feels to have an army's signature ability working against it, especially one that screwed me so many times. Mulg tried again, rolled snake eyes on hit and the game was pretty much over at that point. We later did some maths (we love math and theorymachine) and found out in best case scenario, Mulg would reach Reznik with 2 attacks at which point he'd be at 7s to hit and -3dmg so he'd pretty much need two box cars to finish him off. I activated, shuffled some stuff around, got 3 more control points from dominating and that was it. My first win against eDoomy when it mattered the most. I probably would have been proud and happy but at that point, I was just so tired (physically and mentally) all I could think about was going to sleep.

So Weef finished on 3 wins and a high SoS which got him 3rd place, Wolfy was 2nd (he played very well and deserved it for sure), Baffo lost his last round to Cryx and ended up 4th due to insane amount of CP he got during the tourney, his Cryx opponent was 5th, the awesome Austrian I played 2nd round was 6th and I don't know the rest off the top of my head.

All things considered a great tournament, really friendly (but strict) environment and an absolutely fantastic time all weekend. I played some Malifaux on Sunday, no one probably cares about that because I played my very first Mali game ever there and I didn't go with the intention to do well but just to learn the game so I can show it to blokes at home. Learn it I did and I even managed to win one of the 3 games I played but again, all players were friendly, helpful and an absolute joy to hang out with.

A big shout out to TOs who did a fabulous job, all the friendly locals and Austrians who invited us to their tournaments as well, which we'll be sure to visit in the near future. Unless we get totally humiliated there (and even if we do XD), expect some more battle reports soon-ish.

S

Korva

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
Great battle reports, although I think your opponent made a mistake in the third game.  Typhon does not have reach.

Baffo

• Thrall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:43:08 AM »
Absylonia has Playing god, an upkeep that causes a beast to cause Terror and gain Reach on its melee attacks...

Korva

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:53:36 AM »
Absylonia has Playing god, an upkeep that causes a beast to cause Terror and gain Reach on its melee attacks...

He never mentioned it being cast, there's lot of spells in this game to keep track of and it's easy to forget stuff here and there.

In any case they're still solid reports that I enjoyed reading.

n00buaddib

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
Yeah, that was quite amusing actually. He used dice to count as wounds sometimes, other times he was using them as fury counters. Tokens (literally THE same tokens, identical ones) were sometimes upkeeps, sometimes animi, sometimes fury and all were on his cards which I didn't even see clearly across the table. His initial casting of upkeeps was fairly standard from what I've seen, reach on Typhon, +2str&def (forced evolution? or is that the circle one..) on Angel and Carnivore on Carni. From that moment on, I did my best to just remember who had how much fury and who had tenacity and just ignored the tokens.

I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose or just to mess with me, he seemed genuinely confused about his stuff most of the time. And not all the mistakes he did were in his favour, I had to tell him for example that making a special attack (*armour piercing on Angel) doesn't cost any fury and so on. So even if he was a bit disappointed at the end, at least he knows the rules a bit better now.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

S

DaveZee

• Thrall
    • View Profile
HÉT 2013 Battle Reports
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:59:46 AM »
I keep coming up 2 points short on the Reznik list.
Dice... why do you hate me so?

n00buaddib

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
Well spotted. Saxon is in there as well. Reznik needs him more then toilet paper during a bad case of diarrhea.

wolfi

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
In our game (3rd) you get 3pts for dominating the opponent's zone. As the zealots were fleeing the fraction of " I was short to the zone saved the game for you! :D I needed 2+ on focus in my turn, to cast boundless charge as well, but lady luck was on Feora's side that day. If I could get into the zone, it would have been the biggest comeback I have ever done. All in all it was a nice game!

xor

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
I will get you guys a public gallery link soon :)

n00buaddib

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »
Cheers guys, it was a fantastic event.

You'll get your rematch next year Wolfi, looking forward to it. ^^

wolfi

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 02:45:31 AM »
Looking forward to it as well! I will try to play more against PoM and RoS. Against them I don't have too much game experience.