Summer Terrain Project
I spent the majority of July working on a variety of terrain projects. I wanted to give our local game stores so more terrain and I also to make some terrain for some friends. I’m debating selling some terrain as well, so I wanted to see how much time it would take me to make various batches of terrain of different types.
I also had some fun making a multi layered terrain piece. I like the idea of a piece of terrain really being 2 or more types of terrain. I have made rough terrain hills in the past as an example.
- Water pieces
- Forest pieces
- Ruins and some Stone Pillars.
- Mega Terrain – Forest/hill/water pieced
The hills are still fairly basic (I do not like to make hills with large sloped edges), but I have cut some angles into the side with the Hot Wire knife shown on the side.
I am going to make some different color hills as well. This is really a big experiment to see how a variety of different styles will look when done.
I then quickly drybrush some basic colors into the hills.
I use a combination of the 2 blended turf flock from Woodland Scenics. I find the result of mixing these two to look the nicest on hills/most terrain pieces
Here is the final result on my hills. I’m very happy with how these look. Next time I may use even less flock and make multi layer hills.
I always enjoy having some nice water pieces on the game board. I wanted to see if I could mass product some good water pieces.
I have used some caulk I bought at Wal~Mart. It is about $5 for a tube of caulk, and I used the entire tube to make these pieces.
After the first layer drys I then add in a little more detail.
I use water effects by Woodland Scenics. it costs about $20 per bottle and I used an entire bottle making these pieces. This is layer 1 of 3.
The first layer takes 24 hours to dry. It also really thins out. The second layer is added and I put in a combination of blue/green dyes and mixed it into the water effects. This really gives some variety to the final product
You can see the difference while it dries based on how much green/blue ink I added to the water effects.
The last layer of water is added (I missed the picture, but I also lightly sprinkle some flock into the water to give it a “moss” type effect.
After that layer drys I think work on flocking the base. Here I am putting some glue on the sides of the base.
This is just another picture of the mixture of 2 flocks I use.
I just pour this all over the sides of the base.
I’ve covered how I make forests before. This will be a brief overview.
Step 1, get all the pieces out ready to be flocked.
some examples of final tree bases.
Ruins & Standing Stones
I have gone over making small wall / ruin pieces many times. I am gong to just quickly show some pictures of what I have done. These were all made with Hirst Art molds.
I did some more ground effects as well.
Here is the final product with some additional flocking material being used on a lot of the pieces.
Forest/Hill Water Terrain Piece
I have always liked the idea of making multi piece terrain. In the past I made some rough terrain hill pieces. This is an initial test piece.
I then painted/dry brushed the initial layers on the piece.
Here is the piece with some flock and the first layer of water.