by Brian Giese.
Welcome to another article discussing my current terrain project. I continue to work on my “Modular Ruined City Project” The project was started in Oct 2011. In previous articles I wrote about the planning phase of the project and the part one of the building phase.
This article will continue discussing and showing pictures of the of the building phase. I am building 16 1ft by 1ft modular terrain pieces. Each piece contains part of a ruined city. The pieces are being put together in such a way I can set up tables differently every game. In the last article I had shown images of my first 8 pieces. thisarticle will show pictures of the final 8 pieces. (In the future I plan on creating another 8 to 16 pieces)
I have created modular pieces instead of one 4ft x ft table fo the following reasons.
#1) – As nice as a 4ft by 4ft complete board looks when its one piece, the disadvantage is often the board never really changes, and if players use it often, its easy to “premeasure” and have strategies for the game board before the game even starts. With having multiple 1ft by 1ft sections. I can always turn or face the pieces in different directions to create a larger variety of tables.
#2) Storage issues. While it is challenging to store 16 1ft by 1ft sections. it is nearly impossible for me to simply store a full 4ft by 4ft table. In addition the weight of a full table with these many buildings would be very hard to transport anywhere.
While a lot of the pieces will have a similar look and feel to them, there are some core pieces that I want to stick out in this project. In my last update, the Crypt piece was an example of one of the core pieces.
One of the next pieces I want to focus on will be a bell tower on a small hill. This was a very challenging piece to make as it involved creating multiple parts that needed to align up exactly when complete. I also need to keep this piece in parts during the painting proces.
Here is an in progress picture of the design of the bell tower.
Here is what the bell tower will look like when it’s on the hill. The belltower itself is still in 2 pieces.
Finally here is the bell tower next to another new piece i created as well. The bell tower is going to have a lot of additional work done to it once I paint it. I have a few ideas I want to do for the windows, but those are still currently all in-progress ideas. (if i get my way it will involve a stained glass look)
Another stand out piece I want to include is a “pool” piece. I really wanted to add some water and I decided to create a large pool that I image would fit inside of the city.
The pool piece starts off simply enough.
Finally with a bit more work. ( I am very excited to show off how this piece finally looks when complete) I have used some cauk inside the inner edge, so when I add the water effects they dont leak out of the pool.
I had one final idea for another piece. I wanted to add a piece that would have some statues on it. I image the city before it was ruined had some impressive statures. The piece I am creating will contain the base of the statues, and once I complete the painting of the pieces I will add some statues.
Here is the stature piece next to the pool piece
Finally here are pieces #13 thru #16
Now that I have 16 pieces created, it is now time to start painting them up. First step. Prime everything black. This stage took over 2 weeks to do, and was very tedious. There are many nooks and corners that really challenging to get that initial layer of black over everything.
Here is a picture with all 16 pieces painted black (the bell tower is set aside as I have plenty of work that needs to be done on it separately)
My next article will start to show off the completed pieces.