by Brian Giese
Ruined City Modular Board
This is a project I have been thinking about about for well over a year. I first bought Hirst Arts molds about 3 years. Soon after I started making some buildings with my first few molds I really liked the idea of working on bigger projects. I have also learned that how much extra work a project with Hirst arts get as you start increasing the scale of the project. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable making a lot of different building and had a good understanding of the effort involved before I started this project.
This project will have a 6 phases
- Test Phase
- Building Phase
- Painting Phase
- Party Phase
- I will cover the first 2 phases in this post. Next time I will post with test and my progress in the building phase. I’m about 75% thru the building phase.
Planning Phase – Design & Layout
I am going to divide the city board into 1ft by 1ft squares. Initially I wanted to create 16 squares for the entire table.
I was using hardboard for this. It is slightly slimmer the 1/4th inch. One of my concerns for the Test Phase will be to determine if this will be thick enough.
The ruined city is being designed for Warmachine games, which use 4ft by 4ft tables
My Initial idea was this
But then I need to have 8 of the random zones setup special to adjust for player deployment zones. This is not an idea I was really happy with.
idea #2 was 12 zones
This idea I like, I only need to factor in 2 to 4 inches for player deployment zones. However it could still limit how I create 8 out of the 12 zones.
Idea #3 which I’m going to start with.
I started working on this project in October. I spent over a month focusing on casting Hirst Arts molds to have enough pieces to work on this project. I also had to take a short break in the middle of Nov to work casting molds for another week.
I used a variety of molds from http://hirstarts.com
Mold #71 – 2 copies of these – a Lot of these molds
Mold #701 – a Lot of these molds
Mold #72 – 40 molds –enough for 2 towers
Mold #73 – enough for 1 Tower
Mold #74 – some parts were used
Mold #75 – a lot of these molds (easily cast this mold 75 to 100 times, and still always run out of it first)
Mold #55 – Bell Tower – Enough for 1
Mold #56 – Tomb Mold – Enough for 1
Mold #265 – Floor Tiles
Mold #220 – Wooden Plank Mold
I started with 150lbs of Excalibur Dental Plaster
Picture of some of the molds I use. You can see, that I only use parts of some molds at any given time.
This shelf is my starting point with how many Hirst arts blocks (from molds 71 only). Each mold has its own drawer. I had before I started the project.
This is after my t 3 weeks of making molds in Nov.
and I started with another entire drawer